By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Michael Pachter dismisses 7 million 1 day sales figure MW2 as questionable

It looks like Pachter's own estimate is about 5 million units with the first week of about 7 million.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter is doubtful that Chart-Track's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sales figures are correct, and that the game did not sell 1.23 million units on its first day.

He was speaking following estimates that the game sold seven million units worldwide on day one – a number arrived at by Broadpoint AMTech analyst Ben Schachter, who used the Chart-Track figures to extrapolate global sales numbers.

"Seven million is therefore a very reasonable estimate, if we accept that the UK figure is accurate. My guess is that it’s not," Pachter told VG247.

"I don’t know how anyone could aggregate UK sales that fast. I’d say it’s far more likely that the game sold no more than 5 million on day one (my bias is 4 million), and that it won’t hit 7 million until the end of the weekend," he said.

link

Is it possible that the game is already overtracked by 2 million+?

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

Around the Network

I agree with Patcher on this one.

HIS NAME... IS MICHAEL PACHTER. The T is after the CH.

7 million is kinda ridiculous and crazy, but hey, it was bound to happen eventually, and this is considered "the sequel to the Halokiller," so that's about as much hype as you can get. So I believe 7 million.

It will be interesting see real what real numbers are. However 7 m. in one day or in one week is huge. Now I feel like in christmas ^^ XD

Metroid: Other M

I don’t know how anyone could aggregate UK sales that fast.

Using that new thing, uh, what's it called... a COMPUTER?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

i agree with the sexy beast they call ioi

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Same guys that said Dragon Age and Borderlands wouldn't sell well. So there ya have it

ioi said:
Lol, well our data isn't extrapolated from ChartTrack and we got to 7 million as well so I'm not sure where Pachter is coming from on this one...

But I assume the amount of sources for it is still pretty limited (compared to normal weekly sales numbers), so the margin of error might still be pretty big as well?

koffieboon said:
ioi said:
Lol, well our data isn't extrapolated from ChartTrack and we got to 7 million as well so I'm not sure where Pachter is coming from on this one...

But I assume the amount of sources for it is still pretty limited (compared to normal weekly sales numbers), so the margin of error might still be pretty big as well?

I think what ioi is trying to say is, what data does Pachter have that he and ChartTrack don't?

Pachter might be right, but if he is, is it luck or does he have some actual data?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I find it impressive that he conciders himself both more accurate than chart track and vg charts. 2 companies / websites that does tracking..
Compared to his own analysis. Maybe he has some data.. or maybe hes just talking out hes ass. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Check out my game about moles ^