By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 200,000 PC Gamers Signed Petition Against MW2

nightsurge said:
mirgro said:

Yes, I admit internet is faster now. Also games take up 15 GB of space while back then HOMM3 was about 300MB. So just as speed increased game sizes have too, same as before. So file size and speed have been more or less constant. So that's surely not it.

Are you kidding me?  No one even had internet back in the 80s.  And in the 90's it was mostly 56k dialup.  That would take at full throttle would be only 3.3mb per minute.  That's 124 minutes to download that 300MB game.  Now with 25mb internet pretty common amongst cable users, which equates to just 80 minutes to download that 15GB file at full throttle.  And most games these days are not that large.  So the speed to size ratio was more in favor of speed and piracy convenience.

I also you to note how the companies who are complaining of piracy also make subpar games and don't cater to their audiences. Somehow that doesn't seem like a nice cause to you? Cause according to the free market economics that makes perfect sense. Again, read what Valve fucking wrote because they don't seem to talk about their Steam a whole lot and they talk a whole lot about how they make GOOD GAMES which people BUY. Or maybe you are just scared of intelligent discussion made by people who obviously know how to avoid it, cause that would explain a lot.

Again, I want to know HOW you know piracy is such an issue. Did your mommy tell you? Or maybe it was that big dark guy from the publishing company? Or maybe just your friend's mom's cousin's nephew's daughter? Show me the numbers or anythign that comes out of you is utterly insubstantial.

I don't need to defend myself against childish attacks.  Piracy is a very huge thing.  Maybe it's just a US thing?  All I know is that EVERYONE I know of with PC's have stolen at least one game via piracy.  And how can you just base it off a generic "the games aren't good" statement?  That's bullcrap and you know it.  Demigod, Sins of a Solar Empire, CoD4, Spore, all were great games with great reviews.... yet these were some of the most destroyed by piracy.  In fact, piracy affects the better games more than the crap games no one likes.... so that is very flawed logic.

Oh I'm sorry, because 40 minutes is such a huge deal right? Maybe if we were talking a difference of 10+ hours that would be a good argument, but 40 minutes is nothing. Conveinience is the same as before. You jsut see more numbers because more people are using the PC platform.

Ok then don't defend your yourself agaisnt childiish attacks, defend your claim. EVERYONE I know buys their games legally, so the only solution is for you to provide statistics for this huge piracy you see. Like I saaid your only claim is "piracy is huge because my friend pirates and his brother and I hear his mom's nephew pirates too!" which is a very weak support. I can also just say "games aren't good" because if you listen to other people who play games they can tell you which games are and aren't good. Yes, list me Spore in that list, a game which was a HUGE disappointment, CoD4 which is less played than Counter Strike Source, also Sins and Demigod are selling as expected. Also Spore sold far far far more than it was pirated, just like the sims. At saying that 80% of Demigod was pirated, the dev mentioned that 3 days after it came out. I'm sorry but I think even you realize piracy is frontloaded while sales for the PC games go on for years.

Again, will you at least reada what Valve has said about piracy, or do you jsut dismiss it. I am also eagerly awating those statistics using ACTUAL numbers, otherwise all you are doing is spouting bullshit hearsay.

Definition of hearsay.

• rumor: gossip (usually a mixture of truth and untruth) passed around by word of mouth
  • heard through another rather than directly; "hearsay information"

Around the Network

BTW, these are actual lifetime donwload figures from a big tracker-

COD6 (PC)- 15562 (over 3 torrents, including 2854 who downloaded the crack for the Steam version)
COD6 (360)- 9187 (over 4 torrents, including 116 downloads of the German version)

Dragon Age (PC)- 11405 (1 torrent)
Dragon Age (360)- 3621 (1 torrent)

Batman: AA (PC)- 17901 (over 2 torrents)
Batman: AA (360)- 10667 (over 2 torrents)

GTA4 (PC)- 50901 (2 torrents)
GTA4 (360)- 25889 (2 torrents)

COD 4 (PC)- 63950 (1 torrent)
COD 4 (360)- 14470 (2 torrents)

In comparison, some other, heavily pirated PC games-

Crysis- 77535
Assassin's Creed- 157,869 (!)
Fallout 3- 30,897
Far Cry 2- 25,338 (~9200 on 360)
DemiGod- 8537

And some 360 exclusives-

Halo 3- 12701
Forza- 16029 (including both PAL and US versions)
GOW2- 14493

For the Wii-

Super Mario Galaxy- 12207
Mario Kart- 13302

Piracy was rife on the PS2, it's getting there on the 360.

Mudface said:

COD6 (PC)- 15562 (over 3 torrents, including 2854 who downloaded the crack for the Steam version)
COD6 (360)- 9187 (over 4 torrents, including 116 downloads of the German version)

Crysis- 77535
Fallout 3- 30,897
DemiGod- 8537

And some 360 exclusives-

Halo 3- 12701
GOW2- 14493

For the Wii-

Mario Kart- 13302

Yes and total the PC version of MW2 after just 4 days had over a million downloads via BitTorrent protocol.  From just like 6 or 7 trackers it was already at 640k.

nightsurge said:
Mudface said:

Crysis- 77535
Fallout 3- 30,897
DemiGod- 8537

And some 360 exclusives-

Halo 3- 12701
GOW2- 14493

For the Wii-

Mario Kart- 13302

Yes and total the PC version of MW2 after just 4 days had over a million downloads via BitTorrent protocol.  From just like 6 or 7 trackers it was already at 640k.

Yes ecause the developer decided to fuck with the PC community and the PC community is fucking back. Also the pirated version offers hell of a lot more features than the legal one. So in other words it's just a fail product. Again, give me statistics or stop with your hearsay, there's a reason they exclude hearsay from court.

i bet half of those signers bought it.

Around the Network
ph4nt said:
i bet half of those signers bought it.

Please quote where in that petition it states the intention is not to purchase the game.  The petition, not boycott, is for dedicated servers.

Silly comment.

nightsurge said:
Mudface said:

Crysis- 77535
Fallout 3- 30,897
DemiGod- 8537

And some 360 exclusives-

Halo 3- 12701
GOW2- 14493

For the Wii-

Mario Kart- 13302

So extrapolating from the above, the 360 would have had around 590,000 then.

nightsurge said:
shio said:
nightsurge said:

I don't need to defend myself against childish attacks.  Piracy is a very huge thing.  Maybe it's just a US thing?  All I know is that EVERYONE I know of with PC's have stolen at least one game via piracy.  And how can you just base it off a generic "the games aren't good" statement?  That's bullcrap and you know it.  Demigod, Sins of a Solar Empire, CoD4, Spore, all were great games with great reviews.... yet these were some of the most destroyed by piracy.  In fact, piracy affects the better games more than the crap games no one likes.... so that is very flawed logic.

You're the one who's making childish attacks, or shall I say trolling. You have yet to show a proper argument rather than just "PC has huge piracy! Games must sell bad!"

All reports and studies have shown that PC games have been selling better and better, more than ever before. What's impressive is that this is all happening in the middle of a transition from retail to digital distribution. Even right now, PC gaming is outgrowing Consoles.

As for the games you just mentioned:

Demigod, we don't know the sales so far, but GPG hopes to sell 500k, so no doubt they're on the good track.

Sins of a Solar Empire, an example of where a small, talented team of 4 people flies high into heavens, with their debut game selling over 1 million copies

COD4 was a huge success on PC, selling probably up to 10 millions on PC

Spore was the fastest selling PC game for EA ever (until Sims 3 came), and this proves alot. It is still selling, and will sell for years. it will likely sell over 5 millions.

Shio... give it a rest.  CoD4 developers IW released many statements giving the total sales of CoD4 across all platforms.  Of those, the PC only had 1-3 million tops.  The argument that CoD4 is highly pirated is supported by both the fact that it still has many many players online, and the own release from IW stating they were shocked at the number of people playing online with pirated copies.

Demigod reported piracy of 80%.  I don't care how many total they are selling, I care how many total is being pirated.  Which for CoD4, Spore, Demigod, and SoaSE is quite a large number.

I'd love to see all these supposed studies within the last 2 years that show PC games selling better and better, and PC gaming growing faster than console gaming.  Every bit of news I've seen seems to point opposite.  A shift of developers and gamers alike to consoles or both PC and console.

You must be deluded if you think that COD sold less than Stalker on PC. Here's a post I made that explains how it's possible that COD4 sold up to 10 millions: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2436222

Tell me, which game would be more successful: Game 1, which sold 2 millions, but has 90% piracy rate. Or game 2, which sold 1 millions but has no piracy. I'll let you be the judge.

How about do some search?! Just look for the Horizons report of PCGA, or the studies from DFC, and the report that claims that there are far more devs on PC than in all consoles combined. Don't be lazy.

Over 222k people have signed the petition! Amazing! Keep supporting guys.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

shio said:
Over 222k people have signed the petition! Amazing! Keep supporting guys.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

And what do you want to bet the large majority of those are people signing multiple times?

Requiring an email address does nothing to stop people from signing multiple times.  As I said above I could sign 100 times before I even started using free email services.

Online petitions couldn't be more of a joke and it's hilarious you're actually following it so closely.