By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have your taste in games changed this Gen?

I was thinking about all the games I have played on the 360, ps3 and wii, I notice my gaming habit have changed.

Play More of: 

FPS (CoD MW, L4D, Rainbow Six + others)

TPS (Gears of War, Dead Space + others)

Sandbox games (Infamous, Crackdown + others)

Action/Adventure (Batman:AA, UnCharted + others)

Casual Games (Rock Band, Guitar Heroes, Wii Sports + others)

Play the same:

JRPG (Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Valerie Chronicles, Blue Dragon + others)

Platformer (LPB, Mario Galaxy + others)

Play Less of:

Fighting Games

Sport Games

Racing Games

What Genre do you play more, same and less this gen?

Around the Network

my gaming tastes have not changed and probably never will. I played RPG's then, im playing them even more now and i play less FPS games (MW2 will probably be the last one for me this gen) or just avoid them altogether

My tastes have changed, I've found that I really don't like most current gaming trends which has lead me to the decision to not buy a current gen home console. Instead I've gravitated towards the PSP which seems to hearken back to the previous generations.

no RPG still my favorites.
i think i am done with FPS for a while.

i play less nintendo games, i play more sandbox and FPS games, as well as fighting games.

Around the Network

i play more action games(shooters, sandbox titles etc.), rhythm games and puzzle/casual games.
my love for racing games didn't change so far and same goes to 4X sci-fi games though i never stopped playing them. same goes to fighting games.
i definitely play less strategy games, rpgs, jrpgs, srpgs, platformers, simulations(mostly because i don't have enough time to play those) and stopped playing classic adventure games completely.

also i've got tired of some console game mechanics - i hate random fights in jrpgs or 2d backgrounds with 3d characters. i can't play some older games anymore since they're too archaic to me now.

They haven't changed one bit. Some few games that I used to play more on past generations may have dissapointed me with their most recent iterations, yet in the global panorama it's still pretty much the same:

RPG > Driving sims > Football Sims > Adventure > so on

Also, to me, Retro-gaming > All xD

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I've been more into fighting games, but otherwise things have gone unchanged.

"Now, a fun game should always be easy to understand - you should be able to take one look at it and know what you have to do straight away. It should be so well constructed that you can tell at a glance what your goal is and, even if you don’t succeed, you’ll blame yourself rather than the game. Moreover, the people standing around watching the game have also got to be able to enjoy it." - Shiggy

A Koopa's Revenge II gameplay video

wouldn't say my gaming tastes have changed but I am a little tired of playing sequels which change very little.

For example, I'm finding the new ratchet and clank game uninteresting and even boring because it's too similar to its predecessor. I enjoyed Tools of Destruction though.

No, my tastes haven't changed at all.