By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - My HDD is dead, what do I do now.......

Well like the title says, my HDD is dead, my xbox doesn't want to read it anymore, so I'm buying a new 360.....just wondering, how am I going to recover my gamertag and my xbox live account ??

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Around the Network

there should be an option to recover gamertag when you get your new hdd...

hmm funnilly enough my pc HDD died a few days ago too... lost a lot of stuff including sentimental things that i don't know if I can recover again...

can you just get a new HDD instead of new xbox? (yeah i know xbox is dirt cheat now a days but still) I have not tried it yet but I think you can log in your xbox live account to any xbox or even on PC.

A new HDD is 110$, a new xbox is around 250, now it can be the HDD thats dead but could it be also possible that the connection on the Xbox is the problem ?
Anyways I'm picking a new one tomorrow, this is pissing me off, I'm on my fifth xbox and now this is going to be my sixth, I just feel like I wanna throw it out the window in a pit of fire.
I just want to know, if my HDD is not working, how can I recover my gamertag and my xbox live account ?

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

I think you can get a 20gb HDD on eBay for $20-$30.

What, son, what? New York, New York!!!

Around the Network

Did you call MS, a HDD replacement may be cheaper from them.......you could also replace the HDD in the enclosure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WR9inneEkA

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

To recover gamertag go to

Join Xbox live

Recover GT

Then put your info in.

Well I just called them and they don't sell hard-drive so I'm going to go and pickup a new one tomorrow and sell the one I have right now for 100$ so it won't cost me that much more and I'll have HDMI.
Thanks for the info on the gamertag Garnett.

SolidSnitch said:
A new HDD is 110$, a new xbox is around 250, now it can be the HDD thats dead but could it be also possible that the connection on the Xbox is the problem ?
Anyways I'm picking a new one tomorrow, this is pissing me off, I'm on my fifth xbox and now this is going to be my sixth, I just feel like I wanna throw it out the window in a pit of fire.
I just want to know, if my HDD is not working, how can I recover my gamertag and my xbox live account ?

Anyone else think that this line was hilarious?  RARGH, I'M SO MAD RIGHT NOW, HERE TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY!!!

Why would you buy a whole new XBox when it is the hard drive that went bad. Shouldn't you just get a new/refurbished hard drive?