By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360: was it rushed?

Cypher1980 said:
Decry multiplats all you want but they are the most commercially successful avenue going for developers.

Um...You do realize that's what I just said, right?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

If users are happy with XB360 quality and to pay for online gaming, why lose time and money to give them more reliable HW and free online?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

huaxiong90 said:
Reasonable said:
huaxiong90 said:
themanwithnoname said:
CGI-Quality said:
tuscaniman said:
You disagree with their fight for Japan and aggressive ads?

My apologies, I thought your original post said what business decisions do you AGREE with.

Well, the answer to disagree: I don't like how they pushed for games to be multiplatform. I also don't like that their minds seemed hell bent on taking out the competition. Other than that, I don't have any major problems with them.

What don't you like about that? I mean I miss when we used to have a ton more exclusives too, but you can't deny that's part of the reason why the 360 has been successful.

Multiplatform development in general limits a game's potential. Smart from a business perspective, but it screws gamers over.

See, maybe it's just because I come from PC background to consoles, but I just don't get all the exclusive love/hate.  On PC there was no such thing as an exclusive, just maybe HW requirements (I suppose in a weird way you could look at IW not supporting Wii in the same way, but I digress) and I don't see how multi 'screws' gamers over.

I just don't know why people pine for exclusives - to me it's like someone wishing that DVDs only played on Panasonic players, not Samsung.  The 360 and the PS3 are simply a bunch of electronic components that, thank goodness, are pretty similar so games can be played pretty much the same on each, making them more of a commodity (and therefore under pressure to be cheaper).

Well, I just think it's better to announce for two platforms from the start rather than do it halfway through development when the point is to take advantage of the strengths of a certain console. FFXIII, for example, had some compromises due to the multiplat move.

http://xbox360.qj.net/Contrary-to-what-Square-Enix-would-have-us-believe-FFXIII-PS3-IS-compromised/pg/49/aid/134299

Totally agree with that.  I hate the whole its exclusive, oh wait its not, or it's multi, oh wait it's not stuff.  Either take the risk and go exclusive (for non 1st party, which of course will always be exclusive) or make it a proper multi title.  If I had my way timed exclusives would be deemed to represent unfair trading and actually impossible.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Yes it was rushed but the RROD issue would probably still exist even if they had delayed the launch. The motherboard design would have run concurrent to the CPU being developed and ultimately even with more testing and analysis they would still be stuck with the same unreliable designs. The 360 design was flawed from the off and it's only through reducing the heat output of the CPU and GPU they've managed to lower overall heat in the system enough to brig the reliability up to more normal levels.

Neither Sony or Microsoft anticipated the consequences of the move to lead free solder in BGA chips on their designs hence both had issues. The difference is Sony moved to the 40GB quickly and produced a better board design and cooler running GPU and CPU earlier hence the poor reliability of the 60GB never became an issue. Microsoft just paper over the cracks and paid their way out of trouble.

I think it was worth it for Microsoft the gamble they took but I fully understand the anger of all those people who got burned before they introduced the 3 year warranty (that includes the moe recent E74 consoles too).

tuscaniman said:
CGI-Quality said:
arcane_chaos said:
CGI-Quality said:
We have an official thread for this I thought...

Regardless, I would say the 360 was rushed for all the right reasons, but with consequences. For Microsoft though, they're ahead of Sony, I'd say for them, it payed off.

well it might have done them well this gen, but what  about next gen? say if MS comes out with the Xbox 720(unofficial name) don't you think that this 360 fiasco might hurt Microsoft's credibility?

Perhaps, but I can't see Microsoft repeating this fiasco. I believe they got what they wanted for the most, they currently have Sony clawing back marketshare from them, something that was unimaginable 3-4 years ago. I applaud Microsoft's efforts this gen, even if I don't agree with some of their business decisions around them.

Put it this way, the Xbox 360, as the PS3 has done for the PS4, has laid an excellent foundation for the 720.

What business decisions do you disagree with?

I think I can answer this question even though CGi might not agree with me:

A) Releasing a rushed and faulty hardware console simply for the sake of beating the competition.

B) Moneyhatting third party companies to produce exclusive content (DLC, maps etc) to multi-platform games.

C) Moneyhatting again to create "timed exclusives". In fact MS's efforts on this front has led to Sony start the same, leading to a whole war of 'timed exclusives' with the consumer being the loser.

D) Making the console incompatible with 3rd party accesories thus forcing the consumer to buy their more expensive first party solutions (The hard disk is just one example)

E) Leeching free money from the consumer in the form of paid Online service.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Around the Network
ocnkng said:
tuscaniman said:
CGI-Quality said:
arcane_chaos said:
CGI-Quality said:
We have an official thread for this I thought...

Regardless, I would say the 360 was rushed for all the right reasons, but with consequences. For Microsoft though, they're ahead of Sony, I'd say for them, it payed off.

well it might have done them well this gen, but what  about next gen? say if MS comes out with the Xbox 720(unofficial name) don't you think that this 360 fiasco might hurt Microsoft's credibility?

Perhaps, but I can't see Microsoft repeating this fiasco. I believe they got what they wanted for the most, they currently have Sony clawing back marketshare from them, something that was unimaginable 3-4 years ago. I applaud Microsoft's efforts this gen, even if I don't agree with some of their business decisions around them.

Put it this way, the Xbox 360, as the PS3 has done for the PS4, has laid an excellent foundation for the 720.

What business decisions do you disagree with?

I think I can answer this question even though CGi might not agree with me:

A) Releasing a rushed and faulty hardware console simply for the sake of beating the competition.

B) Moneyhatting third party companies to produce exclusive content (DLC, maps etc) to multi-platform games.

C) Moneyhatting again to create "timed exclusives". In fact MS's efforts on this front has led to Sony start the same, leading to a whole war of 'timed exclusives' with the consumer being the loser.

D) Making the console incompatible with 3rd party accesories thus forcing the consumer to buy their more expensive first party solutions (The hard disk is just one example)

E) Leeching free money from the consumer in the form of paid Online service.

While in A, B and C you can find pros and cons, D and E are pure short sighted greed stuff that backfires on MS:

D) Limited choice of steering wheels can seriously damage racing games sales on XB360 and XB360 choice itself for this genre of gaming. Expensive HDD's, usually not up to date with the latest standard drives usable on PC's and PS3 also damages MS downloadable contents business.

E) While it's fine for a lot of people, you can find even more people not liking it at all.

Being best explained by plain greed even at cost of damaging its own precious customers, D and E also bring hate towards MS.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!