By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Orange Box - #2 Gamerankings - (Conspiracy Theory Included!)

Well it looks like the Orange Box has a very good chance at staying in the top 10, as it currently holds the #2 spot according to gamerankings.

But what I found sort of odd was that they were using the 360 version for the top 10 despite it having a lower score than the PC version by a small margin.

My first though was "oh no big deal they are probably using the lower of the 2 to be safe".  But then I realized that RE4 was on the list as the GC version.  Looking at its crossplatform scores it is actually the highest scored version of the game by the exact same margin.

Orange Box (PC) - 96.9% - 17 Reviews
Orange Box (360) - 96.5% - 22 Reviews
RE4 (GC) - 95.9% - 105 Reviews <-- Impressive
RE4(PS2) - 95.5 % - 59 Reviews

So whats the deal with this?  Is this a conspiracy? Coincidence? Plot to take over the earth?   Or just more proof that reviews are bunk?

PS - There is a good reason for it if I understand their system properly, I am just having some fun stirring up a conspiracy =P I left you a clue though...

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

it's because the PC one doesnt have 20 reviews yet :-p

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

Exactly, Gamerankings has a limit of 20 reviews for listing in the charts. Thats the only reason for the PC version to be left out. No conspiracy here

I bet there are more reviews for the individual games...not the Orange Box package.

It's hard to review them separately though...because the point of the Orange Box is that these 3 new games, plus the 2 older games, work together to create one awesome package...so even if you think one game is lacking, one of the other 2 likely compensates.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I remember Super Mario All-Stars got pretty high scores when it came out, although gamerankings just has two reviews counted for it.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
I bet there are more reviews for the individual games...not the Orange Box package.

It's hard to review them separately though...because the point of the Orange Box is that these 3 new games, plus the 2 older games, work together to create one awesome package...so even if you think one game is lacking, one of the other 2 likely compensates.

And this is why I have something of a problem with the Orange Box on the list. Its seperate games that are packaged as one, so why put the score for all of them up.

Its like having Super Mario All-stars on the list.

Not that these list matter that much.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

It may not be correct to put the Orange Box on the list...but I think most people should lighten up and play this game...so I don't really care.

If you've played the Orange Box...I doubt you'll have a problem with anything that has to do with it haha.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Two years in, the X360 already has 5 games in the top 50 (Xbox has 6, PS2 has 11).

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Bah someone posted the answer, yes its because it doesn't have 20 reviews =P

But the point of the thread was actually just to highlight how well the game is doing.

PS - I tend to agree the games should be treated seperately.

To Each Man, Responsibility

The games should only be treated separately if you're paying for them separately. Then it's $130. If you're paying $50 for the whole Orange Box collection, you gotta review it. $50 for $130 of the best games ever made gets a 10/10 in my book. The 360 one even costs more and has weaker graphics (not that I care about graphics in the slightest). Go Valve go!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.