By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Microsoft needs blu ray now

It seems Nintendo could be putting in blu ray for the Wii 2.  Right now it's a rumor but I think it's going to happen. 

If it does then there will soon be 2 consoles with blu ray.  How can Microsoft compete against 2 blu ray consoles.  I think it would be stupid for Microsoft to not put blu ray in.  Hopfully they will with they next console but we all know Microsoft don't want Sony making money off them. 

Edit:  Jess is HOT isn't she. XD

Around the Network

I think I put this in the wrong forum lol.

Yeah, I think you did

For gaming its not really necessary, but for overall value, 360's competitors look more competitive now.

If MS do decide to put blu-ray in, MS will lose the console war if the price is increased. Especially since MS is currently receiving a lot of criticisms for not bringing down the price of the dominant console SKU(which is still currently (300 USD in the US).

dsister44 said:
Yeah, I think you did

lol yeah I clicked the wrong one by mistake

Around the Network

Seems about right that Wii will get it at some point. For MS to keep the competetive price of 299 along with the PS3, and to add a Blu Ray player, i'd say they might have to make it a standalone player like the HD DVD they had back in the days.

Because i dont see them releasing a "new" console with a blu ray player integrated in the hardware. That might happen for next generation, and i firmly believe that next gen wont be here until 2014 or maybe even later.

They don't need it. They would be better off if they can implement their instant 1080P streaming in Europe especially with their fast connections there.

Tease.

^ Europe wins! Pew pew!

Nintendo has no compelling reason to go with BD the Wii doesn't even have the ability to play DVD or CD's for that matter but that hasn't hurt sales . Nintendo isn't looking to create a "media center" because that business model failed to take the gaming market by storm. BD offers no security that hasn't been hacked, BD hasn't protected the PS3 from modding or pirates so I don't see why Nintendo would pay licensing fees for a third place format. Neither the Wii or 360 offer BD yet they've managed to outsell the only option that does. Sony supporters like to poo poo the idea that downloadable content (DLC) could supplant tangible media but the new PSP GO relies exclusively on downloadable content so I don't think Sony sees it as an issue for the future.

^ I sure as hell haven't read about how you can hack your PS3? Please link it to me, i'll be the first to start pirating games!