By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is pointer FPS or motion control in general worth it right now?...

Smidlee said:
Sony wand it's not necessary a pointer control which is the whole point of the ball at the end of the wand. It tracks without having to aim at the camera of a IR bar. So Sony isn't just copying the Wii but trying to improve hand tracking. Nintendo control has a separate camera for each controller and one tracking bar but just like trying to record on a camcorder it hard to keep a camera steady . Now Sony's wand it the exact opposite like TrackIR uses only one stationary camera yet unlike TrackIR can track more than one person at a time. Instead of tracking IR light it tracks different color of wand's balls.
So Sony wand tracking is more like TrackIR (as a mouse sub) than the Wii-mote.

But then the wiimote and the SONY wand was designed and patented by the same company right? (thats why patent trolls cant sue Nintendo the more you know) So how's SONY's wand reallly different? Its good at theory but is it really do what it says it do?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
yushire said:
Smidlee said:
Sony wand it's not necessary a pointer control which is the whole point of the ball at the end of the wand. It tracks without having to aim at the camera of a IR bar. So Sony isn't just copying the Wii but trying to improve hand tracking. Nintendo control has a separate camera for each controller and one tracking bar but just like trying to record on a camcorder it hard to keep a camera steady . Now Sony's wand it the exact opposite like TrackIR uses only one stationary camera yet unlike TrackIR can track more than one person at a time. Instead of tracking IR light it tracks different color of wand's balls.

But then the wiimote and the SONY wand was designed and patented by the same company right? (thats why patent trolls cant sue Nintendo the more you know) So how's SONY's wand reallly different? Its good at theory but is it really do what it says it do?

No.

Wii: Camera in the controller, tracks the sensor bar

PS3: Camera near the TV, tracks the controller

yushire said:
What about Treyarch, they stood with the Wii fat and thin. Even Wii core gamers ignored them and even Treyarch admits there are flaws on the system. for one thing, the controls isnt as accurate as it used to be. its fast but its jerky. And for people here that thinks analog controls was bad compared to Wii controls you can change the turning speed and sensitivity of the controls.

And did I say PC? PC FPS?

What about The Conduit? It have worse controls than red Steel and COD 3. And the problem with those 2 games were only the turning.

Treyarch?

What have they made other than Call of Duty 3 and WaW? the first of which was apparently terrible and both have sold well, WaW despite retailers efforts to stop it.

And I happen to love The Conduit, although I haven't checked recently I think it is catching up on Twilight Princess and Resident Evil 4 to become my 2nd most played Wii game (after MKWii)

yushire said:
What about Treyarch, they stood with the Wii fat and thin. Even Wii core gamers ignored them and even Treyarch admits there are flaws on the system. for one thing, the controls isnt as accurate as it used to be. its fast but its jerky. And for people here that thinks analog controls was bad compared to Wii controls you can change the turning speed and sensitivity of the controls.

And did I say PC? PC FPS?

What about The Conduit? It have worse controls than red Steel and COD 3. And the problem with those 2 games were only the turning.

Treyarch sounds whiny, did the Metroid Prime team complain about the Wii controls, nope they went out and made a game which controls awesome

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I don't particularly like The Conduit, WaW is far better but how can you say it has worse controls than Red Steel and CoD3 and still expect anybody to listen to anything you have to say? The Conduit has superb controls, Red Steel and CoD3, (I've hired RS, I used to own CoD3) are absolute shit.

That's not my opinion either, them's are the facts.

Around the Network
puffy said:
yushire said:
Smidlee said:

No.

This is why the Sony wand is better for full out motion controls than wiimote alone (and the same in accuracy to Wiimote+Wii motion plus, but with the advantage of not needing to callibrate it) but not as accurate as a pointer because it has to use the motion sensing more to figure out it's angle.

After playing Metroid Prime 3 I really don't want to go back to traditional controls. Sure, motion or IR controls won't work well in every game, and not for everyone. The controls worked very well in MP3 though, there were even reviewers complaining that the precise controles made the game to easy!

puffy said:
I don't particularly like The Conduit, WaW is far better but how can you say it has worse controls than Red Steel and CoD3 and still expect anybody to listen to anything you have to say? The Conduit has superb controls, Red Steel and CoD3, (I've hired RS, I used to own CoD3) are absolute shit.

That's not my opinion either, them's are the facts.

"The Conduit has superb controls"

LOL are we playing the same game? Like I said the only problem with RS and COD 3(which i played BTW) was the turning. You cant turn left and the character will turn around immediately unlike in COD WAW. And WAW's controls was fast especially if you set the controls in maximum.

The Conduit I just say this, even many Wii fans dont like the impression of Geoff in giantbomb on The Conduit its actually true especially the controls.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-conduit/17-929/

So really, whats the difference? What it only did was change whats tracking what

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

I finally got to play a few more hours of the conduit the other day (about 50% though the game now).
The IR is great, I have mine set a little too high but it works great to look arround and aim.
The bad thing is the Nunchuck for which I hate the buttons and is too small for my hands (which I think are small themselves), and the button layout of the wiimote.
But it's heavilly enjoyable and the motion control I use (punch and grenade) work great.

IR really is the way to go next gen for shooters... (just need a controller that is not meant to double as a NES controller...)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

The difference is Wii is tracking two points of IR light and that is the patented part. PS3 is only tracking one and it isn't using a point of IR light. It's technically very different but the result is similar.

Also did you know that The Conduit's controls are completely customisable? If you don't like the controls then try changing them to suit your preferences.