By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 80GB PS3 up 960% in Sales (In Amazon)! Halo 3 Lifts Xbox 360 Above Wii

omgwtfbbq roflcopter ftw!! 980%!! That must mean like a billion in sales ::looks at amazon::

oh it's ranked #17, 6 spots behind carnival games.

considering the 80 gig was ranked like #90 before the price drop I don't think it is that significant. It is interesting that the 80 gig quickly overtook the 60 gig right when the price was dropped though.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Didn't PS3 sales go up like 2300% or some ridiculous number the last price cut?

The 60GB and 80GB are both quite high, I would guess arond double weekly sales

add me

Eh, I've seen dozens of articles claiming crazy sales increases in Amazon. It always boils down to a simple mistake - Amazon calculates the increase in sales ranking, not sales, and people misinterpret what Amazon is doing!

For example, imagine an item is in 90th place, and then rises to fifth place. Amazon calculates it as a (90-5)/5 = 1700% rise in sales ranking. It doesn't mean that sales went 1700% up!

Want proof? Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/movers-and-shakers/videogames/ref=pd_ms_vg_nav/105-2265283-4258854

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 32,000% Sales Rank in Video Games: 1 (was 321)

(321-1) / 1 = 32000%

Some journalists should go back to school!

"Quite a turn of events occurring within the games industry in the last 24 hours" indeed.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Jumping up 85 spots is pretty impressive for 24 hours...

Around the Network

Clearly the article writer doesn't understand the movers and shakers percentage on Amazon and as such the whole article is completely worthless.

i see amazon "sales rank" increase misquoted as a "sales" increase all the time.

Look, Oblivion for the PS3 is up 32,000% today!!! (from #321 to #1)

The PS3 got both a banner and front page placement, so a jump in ranking should come as no surprise.

haha noobs at softpedia.

Yeah, I'm a psfanboy but this means nothing. It basically means that something that was selling like crap is now selling some.

Regarding Oblivion you should all go get it. The increase is due to a price drop to an unbelievable $20. This game is awesome, 20 bucks is nothing for such a great game.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M