By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Space: Extraction sold 9,000 in the US last month, Divnich blames EA

Dead Space: Extraction sold a depressingly inevitable 9,000 units in the US last month, according to NPD data and Edge. The figure accounts for sales from September 29 to October 3.

Why? EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich has blamed lack of EA marketing spend.

“Electronic Arts didn’t market Dead Space Extraction as much as it does with other titles,” he said.

“And the success or failure of a Wii title usually correlates directly to marketing spend.

“If Electronic Arts spent little on marketing, I am sure the sell through was no surprise to them. So I do not believe sell through was a disappointment to EA.”

http://www.vg247.com/

I blame Wii fit!

Take my love, take my land..

Around the Network

I saw more MySim Agent ads than this.

I blame Wii Fit Plus!

I didn't see any commercials for the game, then again I don't watch much TV.

There has been a trend of Mature/"hardcore" Wii games having slow starts and having decent legs, so maybe with a little bit of advertising the game could sell decently.

Simulacrum said:

“If Electronic Arts spent little on marketing, I am sure the sell through was no surprise to them. So I do not believe sell through was a disappointment to EA.”

Lies! The Wii can't sell good core 3rd party games!

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Argh...Even tho game doesn't get ad's it doesn't mean it won't sell.I don't remember seeing single Ps1 ad, and I had over 40 games.
Most people knew that this is coming.Most of those didin't buy it.

Around the Network

What about House of the Dead: Overkill? That game had tons of advertising and was able to do decently. Or is that because of the brand name?

Nah,since Dead space came first to Hd consoles so many think this is just shitty port..And I think Overkill was on Camecube?So not inferior graphics..?

I actually saw lots of ads for this, however they were all on Hulu.  The ads did not make me want to buy this game.

I don't know why anybody is suprised with these numbers, the game seemed doomed from the start.  It is an on rails shooter-- the Wii has tons of these and most of them, shall we say, didn't deliver.  I would be willing to bet that many individuals picked up an on rails shooter, it sucked, and that soured the user on the genre.  Second, the 'core' audience does not want a dead space on rails shooter-- they want an actual Dead Space game. As for the family crowd (which I would bet is a good number of Wii owners), I don't think Dead Space is a game that screams fun for the whole family ("Mom, you just blew the creatures head off! Awsome!"). 

Basicly, the 'core' group won't buy it, the family crowd won't buy it, and anybody else interested in the genre has been burned by a bad game in this genere before. 

Don't get me wrong, from the reviews Dead Space: Extraction seems to be a well made game, but it appears the makers (and this applies to almost every game maker on the Wii) that the Wii owners need 'dumbed-down' games and Wii owners can't handle the 'real' games.

Considering EA spent little to no money developing or marketing this game compared to big titles like Dead Space on HD consoles, I really hope EA isn't surprised it sold like crap.

Everyone probably thought it was a crappy port.