By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 BluRay Drive is broken.

My 40gig PS3 BluRay drive (KEM-400AAA -> old one) is almost broken. It only plays games if i put a cleaning disc in before and let it run twice.

Unfortunately my warranty is 22 months over due, so no chance for getting a new/refurbished one 4 free.

ok what can i do?

A)

Buy a new one (preferably a phat one, cause i like the phat ones better)

-> do you know any good/ cheap offers/ bundles. its important to me that these bundles include non 18+ games (cant be reselled via ebay)

B)

Buy a bluRay drive and substitute it with the broken one

-> any good sites? amazon currently charges my around 80 euro and a additional 17 euro for shipping to Austria.

Anybody else had the same problem, what did you do?

EDIT: cleaning the lens with a qtip and a common window cleaner works wonder!!!!!! ps3 behavs like a brand new one!

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

Around the Network

how regularly do u use watch BR

swap a bluray drive.

Xxain said:
how regularly do u use watch BR

i use blurays almost every day -> games

bluray movies.... average is prob one every 10 days

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

u can swap the blu ray drive.

the part its like 50-90 $.

just find someone who knows who to do it.

it looks like it's a common problem for the early 40gb

Around the Network
Xoj said:

Actually i know how to do it, just need a trustable site and a moderat price. 100 euro (via amazon.de) is too much imo.

i would call myself lucky if i could find a BR drive for 90 Dollar incl shipping costs...

^it's worth it, if find a good party it may last even longer.

Switch the blu-ray drive, had to do that myself. Got mine off of ebay, dont remember them being anywhere close to $50-90 though. Then again might depend on model #. I got mine for $120 and that was by far the best price for the model # I was after.

Xoj said:

I was wondering about that this may happen to my slim one day and its good to know that blu ray drive can be replaced.

Sony should fix it for FREE, After all there competor is doing it for free.