By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Contra is not that difficult

Yeah, the original Contra isn't too tough. I remember beating it with two lives back when I was much younger.

It's the later Contras that are brutally hard. I remember playing one on the PS2 which was all about rote memorization of the safe places to stand. It was incredibly lame.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Contra 1 is hard, but not like the hype would have you believe. It is sure as hell no Battletoads that one took me eons to beat.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Is Battletoads on the VC?

*missed out on the difficult games of the NES era*

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

@dtewi

Hummm i don't know, I haven't been to the VC in a while since I use a PC emulator, but I think that a classic like it must be on the VC ;)

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

contra rules, thats all i gotta say

Around the Network
riecsou said:
johnsobas said:

I must first say I did not beat this game without using the konami code as a kid, but having not played the game in ages I picked it up and played it.  I beat the game only having to use 1 continue on the second base level.  I remember seeing this as the hardest game of all time in some places, and perhaps it was harder back then when people didn't have years to sharpen their skills in similar games i'm not sure. 

Contra 4 is far more difficult, normal difficulty on Contra 4 is probably harder then Contra.  Hard mode is way harder.

When you wrote that you beat while using only 1 continue, did you beat it without the konami code?

yea of course no konami code.  That was the first time i had played the game in many years, if i practiced I'm sure I could beat it with just a coule lives.  The game just isn't that hard.

I beieve you have 4 continues, so I had tons left.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

If you can beat Contra 4, then Contra is a cake walk.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d