By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think the DS will pass the PS2 and is so when?

To me it is almost certain, the DS is at 112 million and it's sales are increasing weekly??? It's holiday sales will be nuts followed by another year of 30 million+ sales....I honestly think the DS has a realistic shot at 200 million as I cannot see Nintendo replacing it for a long time when it's sales hardware/software are still massive.

Around the Network

I say yes, and by spring 2011. Official prediction.

Edit: Also, post 500!

well, the PS2 is sitting at 3.5m for the year, and the DS is at 17.4m for the year. Assuming some more sales for Nov/Dec push the DS 20m over the PS2 for this year and similar performance next year for another 20m units, I project that the DS will surpass the PS2 in total sales by Jan 1st 2011.

NOTE: all numbers based off of VGChartz sales numbers. If you want to go units shipped you may have to tack on another quarter.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Yes. And by mid 2011. And hey I made that same 200 million prediction a while ago too :D

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

Is the earth round? Is Usain Bolt a fast runner? Has Mario got a brother named Luigi?

Of course DS will outsell PS2. Most likely by a wide margin also when it´s all said and done. PS2 has been an incredible seller with huge legs but there are signs now that it´s starting to decline. A new king is arriving and that is DS. I hope Nintendo realize what serious potentional there is still left in DS and hold back the followup a couple of years.

Around the Network

It will and soon enough and y far

@ samas aran rules
Off topic but Bill Nye the Science Guy said the Earth is shaped like a football with the ends tucked in. Just saing. And yes the DS will pass the PS2 and is one of the greatest consoles in history.

400th Post :D YES! (Captain Falcon Style)

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

This is like asking if the gameboy sold more than the SNES....

Yes. Soon.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

theARTIST0017 said:
@ samas aran rules
Off topic but Bill Nye the Science Guy said the Earth is shaped like a football with the ends tucked in. Just saing. And yes the DS will pass the PS2 and is one of the greatest consoles in history.

400th Post :D YES! (Captain Falcon Style)

Oh you learn something new every day