By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New SKU for X360 with a HD-DVD?

rocketpig said:
fkusumot said:
rocketpig said:
I don't see the point. It raises the price of the 360 and devs still can't use any of the features for gaming.

MS doesn't even care that much about HD-DVD. They want to push downloads, not physical media.

So if they can't use HD-DVD for gaming and it raises the price of the 360, why on Earth would MS include it with a 360? It's possible that they'll create an uber-Elite model, but even that makes little to no sense.

Seems obvious. They want to push the HD-DVD format and inflict another wound on Sony.

It's not obvious once you realize that MS has no monetary stake in the success or failure of HD-DVD. There's no incentive for them to go after Sony like that, especially when it risks the overall success of the 360.

Plus, the only thing I agree with Microsoft about, they are pushing downloadable content. blu-ray + downloadable HD content = awesome combo. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
LeonGama said:
Well, if this happens, Sony will have to struggle even more than they are ATM...and that's hard. O_o

no they would have 12 million really po'ed 360 owners. It would be the worst move Microsoft ever did.

I don't think it would be as bad as people are thinking it would be but I also don't think it would really do too much anyways.  They wouldn't make games that could use HD-DVD's period.  MS has done some silly things in the past, but they aren't going to do that.  If they advertise it enough they could push HD-DVD pretty hard, but meh.  I'm sure it would help HD-DVD almost as well as the PS3 helped BluRay. 

In the end it would be worth it for MS because it forces people to buy into HD-DVD.  I really don't think it would piss people off that already have a 360 because upgrades happen all the time to consoles.  Are you pissed that your 360 doesn't have HDMI?  The only way this would piss people off is if 360 games started using HD-DVD and people were forced to buy the HD-DVD addon.  Other than that I don't think it would be too big of a deal. 

maybe in the next Xbox, will never happen for the 360

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

rocketpig said:
fkusumot said:
rocketpig said:
I don't see the point. It raises the price of the 360 and devs still can't use any of the features for gaming.

MS doesn't even care that much about HD-DVD. They want to push downloads, not physical media.

So if they can't use HD-DVD for gaming and it raises the price of the 360, why on Earth would MS include it with a 360? It's possible that they'll create an uber-Elite model, but even that makes little to no sense.

Seems obvious. They want to push the HD-DVD format and inflict another wound on Sony.

It's not obvious once you realize that MS has no monetary stake in the success or failure of HD-DVD. There's no incentive for them to go after Sony like that, especially when it risks the overall success of the 360.

MS has a monetary stake in killing off the PS3, no? I would guess that MS doesn't want any format to succeed except the downloadable one. If prolonging the format war brings the wired age closer then they have a monetary stake in prolonging the format war.

why would they need to recall all the xbox360s? They could just replace the drives in them not the whole damn console..

Or run a program where a person rings in with their xbox360 serial number and they get the hd-dvd drive sent to them free of charge.

Around the Network

i dont see the point of it at all yes i know to compete with sony but who would actually want to buy one?? there will never be hddvd games and sticking to one format right now is risky.. so why would i buy a higher priced 360 just for that.. naw MS.. i think im good..

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

konnichiwa said:

In some exciting news for HD-DVD fans, Scott Browning, one of the most experienced CE retail marketing executives in Australia, has revealed that Microsoft is preparing to launch a new Xbox 360 console featuring a built in HD-DVD drive.

"The fact that movie houses like Paramount are behind the HD-DVD format along with the like of DreamWorks is key. I believe that more content providers will get behind the format and that the likes of Microsoft who are big supporters of the HD DVD format will bring out an Xbox with a built in HD DVD player. This is a given."

http://www.n4g.com/News-75565.aspx

Actually, read carefully. There is no confirmation or comment from MS at all about launching a 360 with a HD-DVD drive - and it doesn't even make sense.

This is simply an analyst saying that he thinks it will happen - and I think most people are certain it won't happen. It just doesn't make sense.

Maybe a bundle with both of them included - but in a single integrated package? Why? It wouldn't really save any money.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
LeonGama said:
Well, if this happens, Sony will have to struggle even more than they are ATM...and that's hard. O_o

no they would have 12 million really po'ed 360 owners. It would be the worst move Microsoft ever did.

I don't think it would be as bad as people are thinking it would be but I also don't think it would really do too much anyways. They wouldn't make games that could use HD-DVD's period. MS has done some silly things in the past, but they aren't going to do that. If they advertise it enough they could push HD-DVD pretty hard, but meh. I'm sure it would help HD-DVD almost as well as the PS3 helped BluRay.

In the end it would be worth it for MS because it forces people to buy into HD-DVD. I really don't think it would piss people off that already have a 360 because upgrades happen all the time to consoles. Are you pissed that your 360 doesn't have HDMI? The only way this would piss people off is if 360 games started using HD-DVD and people were forced to buy the HD-DVD addon. Other than that I don't think it would be too big of a deal.

oh I was just talking to my friend about this... he said he will be "forced to upgrade because he would want the drive just like when I upgraded to the Elite for the 120GB HDD and Black finish." So there would be a ton of people who would force themselves to switch. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

This one of the dumbest things I have heard.

Bringing games on multiple disks and HD-DVD?

What's the use? It will cost money and no publisher is willing to do that.

II think it is just for the sake to have more HD-DVD players on the market.

It seems now MS is following the pad of SONY, why didn't they developed a XBOX3 is my question.

WI-FI, HDD, HOME, built in HD diskformat, sounds like a PS3 :)

31 million PS3's by end of this year

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:
LeonGama said:

I don't think it would be as bad as people are thinking it would be but I also don't think it would really do too much anyways. They wouldn't make games that could use HD-DVD's period. MS has done some silly things in the past, but they aren't going to do that. If they advertise it enough they could push HD-DVD pretty hard, but meh. I'm sure it would help HD-DVD almost as well as the PS3 helped BluRay.

In the end it would be worth it for MS because it forces people to buy into HD-DVD. I really don't think it would piss people off that already have a 360 because upgrades happen all the time to consoles. Are you pissed that your 360 doesn't have HDMI? The only way this would piss people off is if 360 games started using HD-DVD and people were forced to buy the HD-DVD addon. Other than that I don't think it would be too big of a deal.

oh I was just talking to my friend about this... he said he will be "forced to upgrade because he would want the drive just like when I upgraded to the Elite for the 120GB HDD and Black finish." So there would be a ton of people who would force themselves to switch.

Not everyone is an idiot.

Just kidding, but of course there are going to people with that mentality but they are far from the majority. There will always be people that are upset that their 360 doesn't have HDMI or their PS3 isn't 80GB because 60GB was the biggest when they bought theirs.

The bottom line is that those people have already bought their console of choice and they aren't going to stop buying games for that console because of something silly like that so screw them and let them be angry. If they do buy another console because they must have the best, it's a win for MS, if they don't, it doesn't hurt anything.

-edit-
And I realize that's a crappy way to look at things, but that's how things are. Games aren't about making art or making something fun, they are about making money above everything. To think that consoles aren't the same way is just silly.