By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - When will pc graphics start to really outpace console (this gen) graphics?

PC has had the ability to out pace consoles for over 2 years if not since the consoles launched, but the problem is the smaller install base of gaming riggs incomparison to every other computer, and piracy, which at the end of the day is the biggest culprit...ask crytek.

so when a company wants to make a graphically intense game they have to consider first what are the average specs of computers out there on the market and then use that as the lowest setting and work up, and then theirs the fact of how much piracy will affect their bottom line....allot of PC developers have figured that it's better to leverage their games on console since piracy is much much lower, and graphics are somewhat high end...well at least the specs are a known factor, and as a business one can not turn away from something that has a higher chance of generating profit rather than risking it all for what? reputation?...reputation won't pay the bills, and a business if all about making money as it's the only way to stay alive in the scene.

Now given all the above, what we have today is just a repercussion of what most have already known for years as being a problem on PC, but now there is a solution which benefits everyone...except wii owners, Nintendo phase shifted their business 90 degrees from everyone else, but it doesn't matter, different market, different taste in games...either way theirs something for everyone.

Around the Network
shio said:
Grey21 said:
shio said:
Grey21 said:
There will always be a few computer games that look like they are a generation ahead of the rest but overall it's best to keep the specs low enough to atleast have a couple of million people who could potentially play the game. I also think it's better to have a nice looking game that runs smooth then a very demanding game especially when it comes to PC. Maybe it's because I have nothing buy bad experiences with PC gaming (always something that made it crash, run slow or make it look ugly). If PC gaming wouldn't force consoles and game makers to push it to the limit then graphics wouldn't improve so fast and PC gaming would be more succesful aswell. I know I switched to consoles because I got tired of technical problems with the good looking games. So here is to hoping that PC gaming leads the pack but not with too much of an advantage.

Then it must suck for you to know that consoles are starting to inherit several problems that PC yet, and PC is becoming more-user friendly than ever. There are some people that already argue that PC is more accessible than Xbox 360.

Not yet, I have an Acer 5920G laptop so I can play many computer games and honestly not a single one runs smooth even when we are talking about something old like Stalker or The Witcher. And I'm not even demanding that much when it comes to graphics, I always tune them down to average or below average. And then they run reasonably but they look like shit compaired to 360 games. Same with Oblivion, I got it for PC first since I wanted the mods but it just didn't play well, slowdowns and graphic glitches. I must have spend hours trying to get the most out of it but it never reached the level of the 360 version. Until consoles get upgradable in the same way as PCs that the software can't be buidl exacly around it's specifications then I will always prefer consoles over PC.

You bought a laptop! The main reason anyone buys a laptop is so it could move around, not play games. If you really wanted to play the latest games you would've bought a desktop PC. Anyway, your PC is still enough to play 99.9% of PC games today, and it definitely plays better Oblivion than any console.

But in the last 2 years, PCs have decreased in price tremendously, with almost no PC/Laptops above $100. Nowadays you can buy a laptop for $600 that will play any game in the next 3 years.

The slowdowns and glitches were there because you incorrectly installed the mods. Your own fault.

Most certainly not, I hadn't even begun using mods. I did try a few when I had decided I wouldn't want to continue playing like this but Oblivion didn't run smooth without any mods. Ofcourse it did when I turned everything down but then the 360 version looked better. I'm not trying to say everyone has these problems and that console gaming is better for everyone but I now it is better for me.

And I know a laptop isn't for gaming but I figured I would be able to play games that were a bit older, especially strategy games I missed out over the years and have a computer that can play some future titles aswell. But Stalker the first none RTS title I gothad problems form the start. Any other non-rts I got after that had problems, some minor, some big. Consoles have the certainty that you can play the games that you bought without any problems. I'd trade in the edge in graphics that I was supposed to have with a PC for that any day.

Never again, not in this generation or in later ones

Domicinator said:

Absolutely.  Ask Crytek.  They made a big budget follow up to FarCry (IMHO, Crysis was just FarCry with better graphics and a different plot) that was being hyped as the game that would open peoples' eyes to PC gaming again, and all that happened was that people pirated the hell out of it, and it wasn't even really released as a finished product.  I remember seeing endcaps at Best Buy with stacks and stacks of copies of Crysis--nobody really bought it.

It sold over 1.5 million copies in its first 6 months. I'd imagine it's well over 2 million by now, plus all the Steam sales.

ok I have something to input that i really noticed today, playing uncharted today for about 3 hour, I realise hey yeah crysis does look a lot better, AND on a good rig (mines not to shabby) crysis runs smoother, man is uncharted a laggy game or what, allmost never at 30fps, I am now thinking that mayb its not the graphical quality that has been improving on pc. but the framerates you can get over some console games on pc is allmost mind boggling.

Around the Network

This is an interesting article on input lag in console games. The Slashdot discussion is worth a read as well.

Even though cyrsis outstrips any console game, it's only one game and is not representative of pc games in general.

My guess is that 'alot' of multiplatform games (pc/360/ps3) look best on the PC already. Though it's entirely subjective whether you think that difference is 'small' or 'large'.

I really don't see that much of a difference between pc games and consoles games in general (at the moment). Not until it is a common occurence that PC games outstrip console games even on their medium settings will I concede that pc games have taken over console games.

Mudface said:
Domicinator said:

Absolutely.  Ask Crytek.  They made a big budget follow up to FarCry (IMHO, Crysis was just FarCry with better graphics and a different plot) that was being hyped as the game that would open peoples' eyes to PC gaming again, and all that happened was that people pirated the hell out of it, and it wasn't even really released as a finished product.  I remember seeing endcaps at Best Buy with stacks and stacks of copies of Crysis--nobody really bought it.

It sold over 1.5 million copies in its first 6 months. I'd imagine it's well over 2 million by now, plus all the Steam sales.

Yup, Crysis was a success, much more than Killzone 2. Not only did it sell 1.5 million in just 6 months, they probably also made alot of money from the deals with the hardware manufacturers. Since then, Crysis had another year and half to keep selling, and got released on Steam in late 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised to Crysis reached 3 million sales lifetime.

Serious_frusting said:
shio said:
Peterisyum said:
see I dont agree there, while yes crysis does look better than any game this gen, it doesnt look like it is a gen better, thats why i think crysis 2 will be a much better comparison as thats on consoles as well as pc

HUH?! Consoles have already been surpassed ages ago. Right now you build a $400 PC that will CRUSH any console in terms of graphics!

Come on, tell me one game does has graphics that are anywhere near these pics of Crysis:

Bloody hell Crysis is so good looking that it looks better then real life. Oh wait

Fixed.

well yeah PC is better, but the gap is definitely getting thinner...

soon PCs will get life like graphics (almost is on the forest pictures) and consoles will folow... all that will be left will be :
_ the ability to zoom and not loose quality
_ density of the area (more ennemies, trees)
_ animation of more objects
_ perfecting light effects

that's about it.... in 20 years your only difference will be running 120 fps or 150 fps....

that is why consoles need motion control and other inovations... otherwise they can't have a next gen!

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO