By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hypothetically Speaking.. What would happen if FFXIII Flops?

forest-spirit said:
Square-Enix will make something new? We won't have to wait half a life for a new game?

This. this one is pretty good.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
wenlan said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
wenlan said:
^^^ it's won't be fatal for SE 'cause "Batman" have saved SE already.

I hope you are joking

Batman: Arkham Asylum is selling well, but it doesn't miracles, and franchise royalties add to console ones denting its profits, S-E relies a lot on FF, and FFXIII is currently the main title of the series.

But obviously we are hypothetically speaking, the likelihood of a real flop is almost inexistent, too many gamers are waiting for it and PS3 hasn't got a FF released for it yet, the worst it can possibly happen is that it doesn't sell as good as its predecessors.

Comparing first FF title for PS3 to the first, and most successful, one for PS2, FFX, to try to predict anything is very difficult, though, because when it launched PS2 had smaller WW sales, but almost double Japan ones, also because PS2 launched a lot earlier there. So we'll have to wait and see.

i am not joking.

if Batman were released earlier, SE would have to pay A LOT more than £84.3 million to acquire Eidos Interactive.  Backman: Arkham Asylum will sell more than 3 million copies and it's going to be an established franchise owned by SE.  this is probably the best (luckiest) investing decision SE has ever made.

I mean...I think it's one of the fastest selling games of the year....isn't it?

SE did a bargain buying Eidos at the right moment and Batman is selling very well, I agree, but SE doesn't own Batman, it licenses it, so sales for sales FF gives much more profit, they don't have to pay Batman owners. Also, Batman is tied to a movie, they developed it faster, with no time to overrun too much the budget, while FFXIII was a much more troubled, and most probably much more costly, creation, flopping it would do a bigger damage. Also, even having very good sales, Batman AA is still under what biggest FF games for each generation are able to do even since their first weeks. Anyway, I'm persuaded that even with relatively disappointing sales, it would break even, so it's a very remote hypothesis.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Since when did SE buy Edious?

^^
Last Spring.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Thats news to me, what have they done with it so far?

And dood... your sig is straining on the eyes. @_@

Around the Network

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Thats news to me, what have they done with it so far?

They could do better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidos_Interactive#Part_of_Square_Enix_Europe

I hope they keep its best minds, but anyway is sad another great SW house ceases existing...   

And dood... your sig is straining on the eyes. @_@

LOL, it's my almost bloodless (excluding eyes, that is ) protest against the site's new colour scheme

ff franchise would lose a huge portion of its fanbase. It's no fun waiting 4 years (since ff12) for a crappy game

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler