By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did you realize that games could acutally be bad?

I don't know if you guys were like me, but when I was little, I didn't realize that a videogame could be bad.  Of course I had favorites, but I never really understood that games could suck.  I hope you relate, and understand what I mean.

All through the 16 bit era, and even the psx/n64/saturn era I didn't really realize that games could suck.  I think when PS2/GC/Xbox came out, and I started reading reviews, and was a little older, I started to understand that games could suck.

Am I speaking to myself, or did anyone else sorta have this feeling? 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

For some reason I got the chance to play E.T. for the Atari 2600 when I was 3 years old.

I hope that answers your question.

MRC (an N64 racing game -- shudder)

I agree. My Nes collection had Baby Boomer and Ghostbusters. I would play these games all day and I never got even close to finishing them. When I got the Snes I started to hate the Nes. If video game hell exist, all you do there is play ghostbusters.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Every video game was fun for when I was a kid, even the games that considered horrible to most. I guess the first time I realized I was playing a bad game was when playing Pepsiman on PS. But it was so bad, it was fun,

Around the Network
ItsaMii said:
I agree. My Nes collection had Baby Boomer and Ghostbusters. I would play these games all day and I never got even close to finishing them. When I got the Snes I started to hate the Nes. If video game hell exist, all you do there is play ghostbusters.

I remember Ghostbusters, but I would cast my vote for Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde for the NES.

I liked Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for NES when I was little. My friend brought it over and I beat the crap out of the game but i liked it. For me I realized games can truly suck when my mom bought me Total Recall for NES. I tried to play it and while i really liked the movie the game just sucked to no end and I couldn't bring myself to play it.

"Everyone else see's the Joker laugh; only Harley has ever seen him cry."- Arleen Sorkin

In an hour of Darkness a blind man is
the best guide. In an age of Insanity
look to the madman to show the way.
- - Warhammer 40,000 rule book

That's the thing.

When you're young, you're not very good at videogames. So you have the tendency to think that all faults in the game are you not playing it the right way.

Like, for example, when my little brother bought Superman 64.

"Dangit bro, this game is too hard!"

Little did he know...

I was really young, gobbling up all the NES classics I could, when I went over to a friend's house and played Bible Adventures for the first time. Suddenly I realized what the Nintendo Seal of Quality meant, and I also knew that games could suck.

But as a bonus, I now have almost all the Wisdom Tree games. I have a huge NES cart collection and love all the unlicensed games.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Hmmm, probably Lord of the Rings for SNES, no wait Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 for the NES, totally not what I expected at all.