By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future Game Console Specs?

Not nessicarily from any particular company, but what kind of technology and specifications do you think will be intergrated in the next generation/interation of consoles?

Some things I think they might intergrate.

-High Capacity Internal Flash Memory

-Quad CPU/GPU/PPU/RAM all-in-one processing chips

-Games written on super compact media perhaps SDXC or a similar physical sized medium

-Bluetooth/Wifi or somethng new and better

-USB 3.0

-HDMI 1.4

-Perhaps an intellegent system that slows/redistrubutes the processors/hardware work load when they reach a certain physical temperatures...

-True 1:1 motion contollers

What other things do you think they will improve upon/reinterate?

Around the Network

Well, 1080p 60 fps will be the standard. Companies won't go to a great improvement for hardware to prevent development costs to rise even more and prevent sales at a loss. The graphical improvement will be something like GC to Wii.

I suppose the Audio and Video output could also be wireless, that would be awsome for moving consoles or even hopping from one display to another around the room.

- Late 2012 release, $400 should be the average launch price of a next-gen console
- Either blu-ray or online distribution
- Full body motion control
- 1080p, 60fps and 3D
- SSD instead of HDD
- CPUs should be around 1TFLOPS
- GPUs around 4TFLOPS
- 4GB - 6GB internal RAM, either GDDR5 or XDR2
- USB 3.0, HDMI 1.4, flash card support, backwards compatibility

Do you guys think they will try anything more advanced than just 3D?

I guess I am not very imaginative as to what else they could do. But, I don't really plan on buying a 3D TV at all (might happen by happenstance but nothing I would actually consider as a factor in the buying process).

I do however, think ALL load times and installs should be reduced to somewhere under 500ms while keeping framerates consistant, I do believe new hardware can do this with proper optimization there just needs to be an industry wide standard.

Around the Network
trent44 said:

Not nessicarily from any particular company, but what kind of technology and specifications do you think will be intergrated in the next generation/interation of consoles?

Some things I think they might intergrate.

-High Capacity Internal Flash Memory - 1TB HDD are 1000% more likely 

-Quad CPU/GPU/PPU/RAM all-in-one processing chips This is the cell pretty much minus large amounts of ram on die 

-Games written on super compact media perhaps SDXC or a similar physical sized medium - cost effective = blu-ray 

-Bluetooth/Wifi or somethng new and better - This must be standard equipment by then.

-USB 3.0 - If its cost effective this would be really nice

-HDMI 1.4 - From what Ive read there is no need for 1.4 over 1.3, Not needed if it is more expensive then 1.3 at the time.

-Perhaps an intellegent system that slows/redistrubutes the processors/hardware work load when they reach a certain physical temperatures...

-Performance must be always the same to provide the same experience to someone in nothern Alberta Canada or Cancun Mexico 

-True 1:1 motion contollers PS3 has this coming

What other things do you think they will improve upon/reinterate?

More ram - 1-4 gigs general and 512-1gig video

4-8x BD rom/ram hybred ( Game saves/DLC  on disc )

Backwards compatibility with REAL Enhancements ( more AA better frame rates better upscaling faster load times )

1024 Ram up front for sure. 1080 p max hd output I think. They are getting diminishing returns there and Wii proved grafix aren't all that. Standard ws and whatever each co. is promoting on motion detection. There must be a faster way to get info from the disks but I haven't done my research.

What would be cool would be voice activation and some basic v-recog. to allow messages by just talking at the box, send in-game pics and vids via live and a voice remote multi-disc tray for the extremely lazy gamer. It should sound like Jen Taylor or Hale and call me handsome. So $3700 cdn. so far. How about a jet-pack iff system controlling a garage door in the attic while I'm at it.

- Late 2012 release, $300 should be the average launch price of a next-gen console
- Blu-ray AND online distribution
- 1080p, 60fps and some 3D support
- SSD instead of HDD
- 2GB - 4GB internal RAM
- USB 3.0, HDMI 1.4, flash card support, backwards compatibility

The only specifications which matter are price between $200 and $400 and power consumption/heat disipation between 25W and 125W. Everything else is pretty much secondary and comes under the term 'efficiency'.

Tease.

I'm imagining my current PC, taking away all of the freedom of a PC, and there's your next-gen Sony/MS console.

I'm REALLY excited to see what Nintendo does, since Motion Controls were such a success, the sky's the limit for next-gen. I could care less about what Sony and MS do.