By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Market Value over 10 Trillion Yen

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUKT30751820071015?feedType=RSS&feedName=technology-media-telco-SP

UPDATE 1-Nintendo market value tops 10 trln yen on Wii, DS

Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:56am BST

(Adds details, background)

TOKYO, Oct 15 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) surpassed 10 trillion yen ($85 billion) in market value on Monday, joining Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T: Quote, Profile, Research) and Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (8306.T: Quote, Profile, Research) as one of the bluest of Japanese blue-chip stocks.

Toyota is the world's most valuable automaker and Mitsubishi UFJ is Japan's largest bank.

Nintendo shares have soared more than fivefold over the past two years, driven by blistering demand for the DS handheld player and the Wii game console.

Shares in the videogame maker rose 4.6 percent to 70,800 yen as of 0434 GMT, bringing its market capitalisation to 10.03 trillion yen, on expectations the DS and Wii will lead rival game gear in the coming year-end shopping season.

Although Nintendo's market cap is still less than half that of Toyota's 23 trillion yen, it is 80 percent higher than that of rival Sony Corp (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research), whose total revenue is more than eight times as big as Nintendo's.

Kyoto-based Nintendo offers easy-to-play but innovative games to expand the game population beyond core gamers, who are often young males, helping the Wii and DS outsell Sony's rival machines -- PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable.

Shares in Nintendo got a further boost after the company said last week it would start selling its new "Wii Fit" home fitness game in Japan on Dec. 1.

The new game, which features a pressure-sensing mat that looks like a bathroom scale and lets users "head" virtual soccer balls and experience ski jumping on a TV screen, is expected to be the next major sales driver for the Wii after initial demand was ignited by the popularity of "Wii Sports" software.

Nintendo, known for such game characters as Mario, Pokemon and Zelda, competes with Sony and Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) in the global videogame market.

*heads to Sharebuilder to buy Nintendo stock*

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

wow.. things are getting really..really..really.. high there.
i wonder for how long it will rise

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
wow.. things are getting really..really..really.. high there.
i wonder for how long it will rise

As long as the Wii and DS keep selling I suppose, I don't see any reason for it to fall as long as those systems sell

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I just read that story, when i checked the graph thing though, and looked at the info below it said the market cap was just over 8 trillioni have no idea what the difference is between market cap and value unless it has something to do with the outstanding shares and the float...can anyone explain to me whats going on?

next up. Mitsubishi (apparently a banking company)....then toyota, though toyota is over double the value of Nintendo at the moment.

And Nintendo only have 3,300 employees. compared to sony with 163,000 and MS with 79,000.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

DS and Wii will lead rival game gear in the coming year-end shopping season.

They're, like, 10 years late.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network

^game gear as in games products, not the Gamegear (was gamegear one word or two?)

also can anyone explain to me why the market cap for nintendo is not actually 10 trillion yen but about 8.5 trillion

Well when you read the info it says 10 trillion, maybe the graph is off?

http://today.reuters.co.uk/stocks/Quote.aspx?symbol=7974.OS

scroll down to key ratios and stats....it tells you the market cap

http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/overview.asp?symbol=7974.OS

Yeah I think it might just be not updated yet, because here it says 10 trillion

TWRoO said:
^game gear as in games products, not the Gamegear (was gamegear one word or two?)

Ok, I should have put a :) behind that.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii)