By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In a scale from 1 to 10, how important is gameplay and graphics to you?

Gameplay-10
Graphics-6
Story-8/9
Sound-5

~Now Playing~
PC: Max Payne 3, World of Warcraft

X360: MW3, Skyrim

PS2: Persona 4

Last Purchase(s): Max Payne 3, WoW Game Time Next Purchase(s): None at the moment... 

Gamertag: InfernoTrell

Around the Network

Gameplay: 10
Graphics: don't really matter to me as long as they look good. For instance, Cruis'N looks like crap while something like Super Paper Mario may not be all too advanced but it looks awesome.

False Dilemma.

A good game is more than the sum of its parts.  It's a blending of graphics, gameplay, sounds, and more that makes a good game. 

Good graphics is also a misnomer.  I consider Chrono Trigger and Seiken Densetsu III to have good graphics.  I also consider Heavenly Sword to have good graphics.  Funny how that works.

FJ-Warez said:
andrewpeirce said:
Graphics- 10
Gamplay- 2

its all about the graphics. it doesn't matter how good the game play is, if the graphics aren't there, its just unplayable. Good Example of this= Lair

Are you kidding???

NAH, YA THINK?

Words Of Wisdom said:
False Dilemma.

A good game is more than the sum of its parts. It's a blending of graphics, gameplay, sounds, and more that makes a good game.

It's true that all those come together and can enhance the gameplay, but gameplay is the very core and it's what makes a game good.  When you make a game you generally just make everything the completely bare textures, boxes representing characters, almost no sounds, simple proxy animations, and no music.  You keep working on the gameplay until it's finally fun without all those things and don't start working on them until the game is fun.

Around the Network

i agree with happysqurriel,
although i'd say the last generation was still a significant leap over the dreamcast as far as graphical power goes. but yeah when you look at the best gamecube/xbox games they have incredible graphics. from that point on graphics have definitely reached the point of diminishing return. i of course still always want to see better graphics (for example while smash bros. melee had great graphics brawl is far improved and that is way cool) but graphics don't matter nearly as much these days as they used to as long as the art direction and style of the graphics is superb. all the current systems have great graphics where the 3d world is very detailed and clear, gameplay is of the utmost importance while i'd say these days graphics is like a 7/10.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

twesterm said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
False Dilemma.

A good game is more than the sum of its parts. It's a blending of graphics, gameplay, sounds, and more that makes a good game.

It's true that all those come together and can enhance the gameplay, but gameplay is the very core and it's what makes a game good. When you make a game you generally just make everything the completely bare textures, boxes representing characters, almost no sounds, simple proxy animations, and no music. You keep working on the gameplay until it's finally fun without all those things and don't start working on them until the game is fun.

Eh, maybe.  A video game with great graphics and sound with abysmal gameplay is called a movie by some... ^_^

I don't see why everyone treats gameplay and graphics as a trade-off, they are fundamentally interdependent in the development stage.

There are not many examples of games that have great gameplay relative to its peers (within a given generation) but have awful or subpar graphics relative to its peers. At the same time there are few games that have wonderful graphics relative to its peers and yet have subpar gameplay.

Therefore, the you really cannot judge them independently. The two are very much connected, always have been.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

Gameplay - 10. Single most important component.
Graphics - 2. I can enjoy good graphics in a game but I get over them fast. A game shouldnt be developed for graphics, a game should be developed to be fun. I still play games from the 1980's (

Gameplay- 10
Music- 12
Story- 11
Value- 10
Artistical direction- 10
Technologic advancement- 6