By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sunday Night Fireside Chat...

Sunday Night Fireside Chat

Welcome to the first sunday night fireside chat.  There usually isn't much for news on Sunday and so there's usually nothing to talk about, so I figure we'd try something thought provoking.  So come on in take off your hat, grab some hot chocolate, take a knee, take a seat, take a nap, and have fun...

This week's topic will be:

The Future of Zelda

With Twilight Princess out last year and Phantom Hourglass out this year, when do you think we'll hear about the next zelda?  What do you want out of the next Zelda game?  Would you prefer a Twilight Princess style or Wind Waker, or something completely different?  Do you think they should make some major changes like a new main villian and no Ganon?  Should they go away from the formula that has been used since A Link to the Past?  What thngs should/must they keep in the next game, and what things could you go without?  What does the next game have to do to overcome the close scrunity and camparison to Ocarina of Time, like Galaxy is hoping to overcome Mario 64?

These are just a few questions and thoughts feel free to add whatever you want to the discussion...

I personal feel that they have to spice it up a bit in the next game.  I love A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, but lately I kind of get the feeling that I'm just going through the same motions.  I just think they need to take a chance, while improving on TP graphics.  I want to see something different, fight someone different, I just want something new.  I don't know what the "new" is that I want yet though.  Maybe a new main villian.  Maybe a new world to explore besides Hyrule.

What do you guys think?

(p.s. what do you think of this thread idea and general) 

Around the Network

if they changed the formula of zelda i wouldnt feel like zelda, i know some reviewers and haters would be happy to see some new elements in zelda but thats what some fans expect and nintendo always presents each zelda differently.

I don't know, I believe you can add new things and new adventures and not take away from the feel. I'm a fan of the franchise and definitely not a hater, but I'm just saying that rehashing the game with a new "twist" just isn't satisfying to me anymore.

To truly have a great game you have to improve on everything that makes the franchise great and then some. And if a fan expects every zelda game to be like Ocarina of Time, then that is kind of sad and ignorant on their part because this franchise needs to evolve...

also @Soriku, I definitely support harder bosses, RPG elements, and no ganon. Although I think they should implement the 'save the princess story" as a secondary plot line...

The only things I want:
- harder bosses
- more dungeons
- cel-shaded graphics

Am I the only one who thought Wind Waker looked fantastic, much cooler than Twilight Princess?

And please no jump button, this is Zelda, not a platformer.

Consoles I Own: NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, DS, X360, Wii

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Good thread, I guess.

I want for a new (Wii) Zelda:

- No Ganon (new enemy)
- No "save the princess" story. We want different!
- JUMP BUTTON!!!
- Harder bosses/enemies

Others:

- Some RPG elements (but unlikely)
- Possibly somewhere other than Hyrule
- Optional dungeons/bosses

DO NOT BASTARDIZE MY FAVORITE SERIES.

Soriku go to VC and download the original Zelda for the Nes. Play it , beat it and then you can talk about Zelda games. Most of the points you made are what make Zelda 2 a bad Zelda experience.

I will make a similar experiment to make you feel as bad as I am feeling:

Ideas for KH 3

- make it turn based
- change Donald and Goofy for Chip and Dale
- make all characters heterosexual
- no more Sephiroth battles
- reduce game lenght to 15 hours
- instead of a keyblade, Sora uses a boomerang

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I support harder games. Harder than LttP or LAw could ever be. I want bosses to take up to 6 hearts, pitfalls 2 and no more 1/4 heart ever again.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

ItsaMii said:
I support harder games. Harder than LttP or LAw could ever be. I want bosses to take up to 6 hearts, pitfalls 2 and no more 1/4 heart ever again.

agreed, but what about the rest?  Do you still want the main villian to be Ganon?  Do you still want it in Hyrule?

It seems all of us agree on harder games. Aside from that, I want a complex story, deep characters and a long journey. Eight dungeons aren't enough... and don't fill it with recovering shards from some triangle.

A different villian would be good too, but that derives from a totally different storyline. Also, more items would be good too, different kinds of sword for different objectives, not just a sword and a stronger sword.

fazz said:
It seems all of us agree on harder games. Aside from that, I want a complex story, deep characters and a long journey. Eight dungeons aren't enough... and don't fill it with recovering shards from some triangle.

A different villian would be good too, but that derives from a totally different storyline. Also, more items would be good too, different kinds of sword for different objectives, not just a sword and a stronger sword.

all of that sounds good, but I just don't know if the developers would dare do something to upset the fanboys who just was more Ocarina of Time.  

Also most of us seem to want something new, but just not sure what....Maybe they could fastward in time and make a more modern environment.  I'm not saying modern like our world, but more modern than Hyrule in Ocarina of Time and such.  Maybe have it about a guy named Linkius(goes by link) who was named after his great x4 grandpa, Link....