By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Green jobs czar Van Jones resigns - GOP victory

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/06/green-jobs-czar-van-jones-resigns/

Van Jones, President Obama's green jobs czar, has resigned amid furor over his past statements regarding the Bush administration and the September 11 terrorist attacks.

In a resignation letter released by the White House just after midnight on Sunday, Mr. Jones said he was the victim of a smear campaign.

"On the eve of historic fights for health care and clean energy, opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me," he wrote. "They are using lies and distortions to distract and divide."

Mr. Jones said while he's been getting encouragement from both political parties to "stay and fight," he "cannot in good conscience ask my colleagues to expend precious time and energy defending or explaining my past."

"We need all hands on deck, fighting for the future," he said, adding in the letter for Council on Environmental Quality Chairman Nancy Sutley that he has been honored to serve the president.

Ms. Sutley issued a short statement thanking Mr. Jones for his work and calling him a "strong voice for creating 21st century jobs that improve energy efficiency and utilize renewable resources."

Politicians had been calling for Mr. Jones to resign after it was revealed in recent days he signed a petition supporting 9/11 conspiracy theories and has made other unflattering statements caught on video.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs offered a less-than-stellar endorsement of Mr. Jones on Friday.

The holiday weekend release has been used by many politicians to attempt to lessen bad publicity.

--------------

Glenn Beck a crazy right wing nut job?  How about a HELL NO!  He called for this and the the GOP, libertarians (like Beck) and America has scored a HUGE +1.  Only 34 unconstitutional "czars" to kick out now!

Around the Network

"Opponents of reform have mounted a vicious smear campaign against me."

Halogamer's response: "Yeah, go GOP! Victory for us!"

MontanaHatchet said:

Opponents of a US version of NHS.  This guy was a 9/11 truthing, Mumia/ACORN activist Communist who, on the record, called Republicans assholes.  Any admin would dump a guy like that and any official in his/her right mind would turn in a resignation the next day after stupid BS like that.  He was a thorn in the admin's side.  Don't "blame" it on the GOP as we can't do anything but organize/fundraise for now. 

Article II, Sec. 2, US Const

[The President] shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

No such investment of Officials has been proposed or directed to the President by Congress in re the "czars." Therefore they are unconst. and not a subject for dismay for a "vast right wing conspiracy."

halogamer1989 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Opponents of a US version of NHS.  This guy was a 9/11 truthing, Mumia/ACORN activist Communist who, on the record, called Republicans assholes.  Any admin would dump a guy like that and any official in his/her right mind would turn in a resignation the next day after stupid BS like that.  He was a thorn in the admin's side.  Don't "blame" it on the GOP as we can't do anything but organize/fundraise for now. 

I'm not a fan of the guy either, but having him resigned as an effect of a massive smear campaign isn't a victory. It's an embarrassment for the people making the smears and the government itself. Oh, and by the way, I blamed it on the GOP because YOU MENTIONED THE GOP. See your title? And even though this guy admitted to being communist, you use the term so loosely that it doesn't have any meaning coming from you anyways. Running a massive smear campaign isn't anything to be proud of, no matter what the results are. Oh, and enjoy the efforts. I look forward to seeing how the GOP can screw up again whenever they manage to take office.

Montana see my edited section in ref 2 the Const.  As 4 any President's use of czars (Rep or Dem) as policy dept heads not ok'd by Cong I am against it.  I am a strict constructionalist.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

Is it really a smear campaign if it is actually true though?

I don't know what all is and isn't true but to be completely honest I've heard and seen enough audio directly from the guy to know he should have never been appointed to begin with. 

Saying that a smear campaign is a victory for the GoP is really a cheap shot though when a good chunk of why he is resigning is undeniably legitimate by his own words. 

@Halo

Really man?  It's not very classy to cheer his resignation.  Besides, its not like the GoP hasn't had its share of emberrassing resignations....

To Each Man, Responsibility
Sqrl said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Is it really a smear campaign if it is actually true though?

I don't know what all is and isn't true but to be completely honest I've heard and seen enough audio directly from the guy to know he should have never been appointed to begin with. 

Saying that a smear campaign is a victory for the GoP is really a cheap shot though when a good chunk of why he is resigning is undeniably legitimate by his own words. 

@Halo

Really man?  It's not very classy to cheer his resignation.  Besides, its not like the GoP hasn't had its share of emberrassing resignations....

While it may not be classy it is worth celebrating.  Here are links to his BS on the record insanities: http://www.breitbart.tv/van-jones-only-suburbal-white-kids-shoot-up-schools/

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=van+jones&search_type=&aq=f 

He wants to "save the polar bears for the benefit of poor black kids," "9/11 inside job," supported al-Qaida, etc.

MontanaHatchet said:

I was thinking this and you wrote it.  +2 for being of similar minds

When it comes to prosecuting people who ordered or performed torture, let's forget all about it and move on. There's nothing to be gained by opening up those old wounds.

But if you say some stupid shit about 9/11, your career is toast. Some things you just don't do.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

--------------

Glenn Beck a crazy right wing nut job?  How about a HELL NO!  He called for this and the the GOP, libertarians (like Beck) and America has scored a HUGE +1.  Only 34 unconstitutional "czars" to kick out now!

You lose.