By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - the futuer of conol gaming

well, i just want to know what you guys thing abiut whats next. the xbox 720 (if thats what they call it) wii hd (if thats what they call it) and ps4.  what do you think they will be like? what do you think they will feature? your thoughts 

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Around the Network

What's a "conol"?

Anyways, I think the future of gaming will have largely to do with how this generation ends up. I think at least one of the console makers will drop out, it would be awfully boring have the same 3 companies for 3 generations in a row.

consol****
sorry about the typo

xbox 360, ps2 are my consoles 

end of generation predictions: wii 106 million Xbox 360 59 million PS3 57 million  

Actually, it's a console. ;)

As for the ps4, Sony will probably go with a mega version of the Cell. Multicore processors are the norm, so they'll probably create a Cell with a hell of a lot more SPEs than the current one. They'll probably go with unified RAM and a new nVidia GPU. They'll stick with the DS3, refining the sixaxis capabilities, making them more responsive, and upgrading the battery life and blue tooth capabilities of the controllers. They may dub this the "Dualshock 4." They'll probably add more media center capabilities to the machine as well, having built in tv tuners and such. They'll try to release the machine when MS's release the next Xbox, if not a little bit before. They won't want to give MS a head start again.

The next Xbox will be very similar to the 360, though without the hardware problems that plagued it's predecessor. It will have a very developer-friendly architecture, using a standard multicore processor much like the 360. The only major changes to the hardware besides the usual upgrading of specs will be the inclusion of wi-fi, bluetooth, and Blu-Ray. They will focus heavily on improving their Live functionality and Windows media center functions as well. MS will try to get out of the gate first, much like this gen.

As for the Wii 2, it will essentially be Wii HD, like the TC said. They will improve the firmware, online system, etc., but for the most part, it will be very similar to the Wii. It will still use the Wiimote, though a much refined Wiimote with higher sensivity, some added bells and whistles, and some cool new peripherals. This is to help spur new gameplay ideas (much like this gen), while having perfect BC with Wii titles. The hardware will be upgraded, obviously, and I'd say they'll put it about halfway between the hardware of the ps3/360 and the ps4/720. They won't want to make the console as weak as the Wii was in comparison to the ps3/360, but they will still keep the manufacturing costs low so they will have a nice price advantage over the competition. They'll probably plan another "revolution" for the generation after that, though.

@Montana: Who would drop out? After the success of the ps1/2, you know damn well Sony's going to try and do that again next generation. The ps3 was really a sacrifice for Blu-Ray anyway, so many of SCE's troubles were expected by Sony as a whole. As for MS, the 360 is actually doing rather well. They might actually have a profitable gaming division by the end of this gen, so why not go another round?

And Nintendo, it's obvious they aren't leaving anytime soon.

I think they'll all be awesome. Mainly because i haven't seen a videogame console that has sucked. Well aside from the Virtual Boy.

I hope Apple enters the console race. Then we can have a system weaker the Wii HD and more expensive then the PS4. They'd even be the same system!

Around the Network

you misspelled conoli. They're pretty tasty if you're into itallian food, I guess.

As for console gaming, I figure it's gonna be a more refined version of what's going on now:

WWE games where your created player has entrance music & video that you record yourself

Voice control: like Seaman on the Dreamcast, only more reliable

2160p support, for people who want details they can't even see

a sequel to Chrono Trigger! 2012 is going to RAWK! plus, Sony never uses the same media platform twice, so I figure: CD

Nvidia, ATI and IBM recently had a conference where they discussed the future of game playing machines. All 3 were in agreemnent that we would soon be ditching seperate GPU & CPU set ups in favour of a unified processor capable of doing both jobs. The next generation might be a bit to early for this tech though. Unless Sony go with the Cell only design.

http://www.edn.com/blog/1690000169/post/1110015711.html

Oh come on, you know what will replace Blu-Ray.   We got a glimpse of it in Demolition Man.  All media will be stored on the 3 sea shells.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

i vote for BlackHawk FSI to be the official vgchartz spell checker...lol

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

jjseth said:

Oh come on, you know what will replace Blu-Ray.   We got a glimpse of it in Demolition Man.  All media will be stored on the 3 sea shells.

LoL! The three sea shells! It all makes sense now! Sylvester Stallone new all along.....