By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - HL2: E2 & E3 Discussion **SPOILERS** Don't click if you don't wanna see!!

Ok well Ben got me thinking about this from the other thread and I am curious where you guys think this is going.

Some folks on the steam forums came up with the theory that only females can use the ASHPD, I don't know how accurate that is but it would make sense for them not to want to give you full control of the portal gun in episode 3 and thus they could give it to Alyx.  I am sort of curious both what you think of the validity of this line of reasoning and what you would think of that sort of gameplay mechanic.

PS - I would love to hear other theories if you got them, for example, I think there is a very good possibility that nobody gets to use the ASHPD. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

Interesting...

The main character of Portal IS female...the previous game from those developers, Narbacular Drop also had a girl as the character though.

Judith was seeking it out...and you'll have Alyx with you...that's a possibility...a weird one though...

I'm with you in thinking that nobody will get to use the ASHPD...I didn't even think that's exactly what Eli was talking about...I figured he was talking about a bigger technology...one that perhaps powers the ASHPD.

IF Alyx got the ASHPD and was the only one who could use it, that would certainly make it an interesting game. You'd really have to rely on her AI though...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

So we get to go to a snowy area in the next game though! That will be interesting.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I wonder.. in the ending song the computer said it's still living on.. it controls all portal reasearch. I think Gordon and Alyx vs the computer as a near final boss would be interesting. And remember after Ep3 Valve is making a side story for Alyx. Could be set after Gordon leaves Alyx.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Gordon leave Alyx?? Never!

Congrats on 2k posts, by the way.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Gordon leave Alyx?? Never!

Congrats on 2k posts, by the way.

we will have to see... Gordon is bound to be killed or something.. all main characters like Gordon needs to have some uber heroic awesome battle/death to save the world. (This is why Master chief didnt die.. his story continues because he isnt good enough of a hero to die in the "Final Fight" lol same with other video game characters like Mario/Sonic/Metroid/etc) 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

bump

I have to agree I don't think the technology not to be used was the ASHPD, not sure what it is but it seemed to be something much bigger than just that.

The other thing I remembered is that in the commentary for portal Gabe Newell mentions that he feels this type of gameplay is in its infancy and they are looking for ways to expand it into other areas. I got the impression that it was the sort of thing they weren't trying to force but I could see a small segment of the next episode where you get to use the ASHPD before something happens to it etc...and given the context of the episode I don't think it would come off as too forced depending on how they do it etc...

Either way, as much as I enjoy the ASHPD I would rather they not try to force it and just continue with the natural logical flow of things. In other words stick to what has worked well so far. The episode 2 commentary mentions that sometimes ideas need to be shelved for long periods of time before being revisited when a better opportunity arises. I think that might be the case here and while I would love to see it happen I can wait for when it makes sense.

To Each Man, Responsibility

All I can say is.. Lets kick some tail in Black Mesa.