By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rare talks Nintendo relationships and VC

Rare recently spoke on their continuing relationship with Nintendo, ports and possible Virtual Console releases for past Rare-developed titles.

JT: "We have an in-house Game Boy team at Rare, and Microsoft never wanted us to change that. Not long after they bought us, they signed to release Monster Truck Madness and stuff on the Game Boy Advance. They're not in the handheld market, so they never saw them as a rival, I think.

JT: I think since Microsoft owns us as well, the Game Boy team carried on doing the Donkey Kong Country ports. I think Nintendo are quite happy with the arrangement as well.

JC: There's no conflicts with the rest of Microsoft's output. I think, as far as they're concerned, if it makes money, they're ahead. "

"If Rare is still working on some Nintendo ports that are actually Nintendo properties, does that mean you can still revisit those series, like Donkey Kong Country, or Killer Instinct?

JT: Nintendo like us to do the ports of the games that we did for them for their format.

We've done the Donkey Kong Country remakes because [Rare] was the home of it. Nintendo have asked us to do those. I think there's still a really good relationship between Rare and Nintendo. Yeah, we get on really well.

That kind of thing doesn't happen very often.

JC: No, I think it's unique to the fact that Microsoft aren't planning on releasing a handheld, so there's no conflict of interest there. I think the management is still friends with people at Nintendo -- like Ken Lobb went over [to Microsoft] as well, so there's still connections between the two businesses.

I mentioned Killer Instinct -- a lot of people are hoping that you guys are going to do that again. I thought it would be very difficult since you're Microsoft-owned, but if you do have that relationship, then on the handheld page...

JT: The thing is, when we were working with Nintendo, there were some properties that were ours -- and are ours, furthermore. Banjo is a great example. Banjo is all ours, although potentially Nintendo could release the old games for the Virtual Console on the Wii. Any future ventures would be from Rare on whatever format we're working on. It's a pretty even split. Obviously they didn't give us Donkey Kong. I don't know why. (laughs)

This is actually a good sign for the Wii owners still waiting for the old rare games to be released on the VC.
Ohh how i would spend to much money just to be able to play Goldeneye or Banjo again..

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

cool, that's great news.....i wish Rare was still it's full self (ie the people split from it after MS bought it) we could be getting 1 or maybe even 2 exclusive games on Wii per year (Rare were never a particularly speedy company...probably why they were great)

@ TWRoO - Any idea where all those people went? I mean was there a mass shift to a different or new company? or did people generally just disperse?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Banjo in VC is great news. I think that it would be smart of Microsoft to excourage Rare to get properties on the VC. If timed correctly it would promote the sequels which are exclusive to the 360. It would work for everyone. Imagine bring Banjo 1 on the VC out a month before the relased of Banjo 3 on the 360 and Banjo Portable for the DS.

Lets hope this happy relationship can stay as nintendo morphs the VC space with Wiiware, improved classics, or if they allow gameboy games on the VC.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

i wouldnt mind seeing golden eye--i never got a chance to play it

Around the Network
stof said:
@ TWRoO - Any idea where all those people went? I mean was there a mass shift to a different or new company? or did people generally just disperse?

Some of them have found Free Radical - the company that makes Time Splitters and Haze amongst other games. Some others founded Zoonami, a company that has yet to create something interesting. I don't know where the others went, though.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Nothing much new here except when they ask about Killer Instinct. It seems as though the Killer Instinct franchise is not owned by Rare but by Nintendo. Guess we'll never ever see another Killer Instinct game ever *sighs

Ultimate games on VC? I know at least JetPac is on XBLA, any more?

Virtual console news would be great.

Well there is something slightly new about Banjo on VC. In a past interview they said that Banjo is possible, now they are saying that it is up to Nintendo to put these past games on VC. Seems like a pretty much done deal according to that. I still wouldn't jump the gun on it, but that's what it seems like.