By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Countries with fastest average internet speed

MikeB said:Yes according to past studies Canada was ranked well above the United States and it's ranked 219th based on population density. Per square km the US homes tenfold the amount of people than Canada.

Well, according to speedtest.net, the source this study used for its international speeds, the US actually has a higher mean download speed than Canada. That is one of the strange aspects of this study. They are using data from their study and comparing it to data from a source that already has data for the US. Considering that this study was conducted by a trade union that would benefit from a boost in infrastructure spending on broadband, I have a difficult time viewing this study as objective. 

Around the Network
MikeB said:
BTW Sweden has a lower population density than the united states.

Also for example people living in Alaska are very few, so they also contibute very little to the overall average.

Ok, Sweden has a lower population than USA, but a great percentage of them live in the metropolitan area of Stockolm, a 21%, Göteborg and Malmö, so it has a great percentage of it's population concentrated in a small area, where is easy to provide a fast connection.

Here in Chile I have 8mbps and thats really good here so I asume we are badly ranked.

Xoj said:
ph4nt said:
MikeB said:

There are many different measures of power, China is powerful, it for example owns about 740 billion USD of US's treasury securities.

If you measure by amount of obese people the US is second to none.

But in terms of political influence, you can not argue that the US is on top.

And yes, Us handily wins in the "obese" category =)

Back on topic. I think it takes way too long to adopt a new standard for something, probably because people think what they have now is "good enough". Dial up was pitiful and you couldn't do anything with it, a huge leap was to go to DSL / cable which most people still use today. There really isn't much need for faster internet for 99% of the people out there.

Kind of like blu-ray's slow adoption, DVD was a huge leap from VHS, blu ray? not so much, most people are satisfied with DVD.

only u don't have a HD TV, it looks horrible, even upscaled.

blu ray substitles, looks crips on blu ray.

DVD look crappy.

comparing advent children complete japan vs transfomers 1 DVD.

i cant believe  people are still saying this.

1st. blu-ray adoption is far from slow.. every single report has told us this. Also it has/had a LOT of competition that DVD did not have. DD, people need to get a New TV, HD DVD, etc.

2nd. Blu-ray looks MUCH better. 6x better. thats a fact. my mom is still ok With VHS but she does not deny that its a huge leap.

SWEDEN ALL THE WAY!

I think 10/10 or 24/1 is the most common speed up here. I got 100/100 myself.. but thats just because im better than everyone else.

Around the Network
Kynes said:
MikeB said:

Also for example people living in Alaska are very few, so they also contibute very little to the overall average.

Ok, Sweden has a lower population than USA, but a great percentage of them live in the metropolitan area of Stockolm, a 21%, Göteborg and Malmö, so it has a great percentage of it's population concentrated in a small area, where is easy to provide a fast connection.

Yes, population distribution should not be omitted. For example, approximately 78% of Sweden's population resides on its southern coast-this includes, as you mentioned, Stockholm, Malmo, and Gothenburg. In the US, 50% of the population lives on the 9,000 kmGulf and Atlantic coastline.

Kynes said:
MikeB said:

Of course urbanization plays a part, but Japan only shows about 2% more urbanization than the United States. Within both countries the vast majority of people live in urban environments.

AFAIK California is very urban, which the study also mentions.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Just tested my connection here in Michigan through Comcast from Speedtest.net

20.8Mb/s Download
1.82Mb/s Upload

Looks like I'm faster than the average South Korean

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

^yeah, but I bet the average South Korean pays less than you do for that speed!

7.03 mb dl 0.69 mb upl

Thats my speed.