By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Hardware landscape really change? Is history against the PS3

Just wondering whether the lowest selling console in any given generation hase ever turned things around to become the highest selling console; not necessarily in lifetime sales, but in average weekly sales?

PS3 may never catch the Wii or the 360, but if certain hype is to be believed the PS3 could start outselling both systems on a weekly average basis from this point on. My impression, without looking at the sales histories of previous generations, is that the lowest selling console simply does not become the highest selling console no matter how they change things up to give their hardware a major boost. So at this point history suggests Sony can kiss goodbye any notion that they might start outselling Wii on a weekly basis, for more or lkess the remainder of the genreation.

Or does the PS brand have what it takes to defy history and move to the top of the weekly table?

Too little too late is a term that has been used a bit to suggest the PS3 will continue to sink. I don't think this will happen, but I do think it's too little too late for the brand name to turn things around to any great exent.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I think PS3 could average around 200k through 2010. Wheter it outsells the Wii or not is still to be seen, most likely not since Wii has NSMB around the corner.

no third place console has ever sold like the ps3.

Check out my game about moles ^

I wouldn't underestimate the Playstation brand, in total console sales we haven't reached the sales numbers of the PS2 generation yet and gaming has do doubt grown since then. The PS3 still has the potential to defeat the 360 if they can find some way to get back into the hearts of the US gamers. But that's the only thing it can hope for imo because the Wii is compleeetly different. If you want Wii games and motion controlls then you dont end up bying a 360 or PS3 even if they drop to 100 dollars. So playstation 3 could go from a distant third place to a distant second place (compaired with the Wii that is). Having said that Natal and the PS Wand represent a new generation, the Wii will be old and if the HD consoles can market themselves as new + motion controls then casual gamers will slowly switch to the HD consoles. But it's too early to tell which one will be the most succesful, but it's obvious that Microsoft is the one that is currently working the hardets to make this a symbolic start of a new generation.

after looking at amazon and seeing the slim is already donw from first place i am entitled to think the ps3 wont make it to second

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
Staude said:
no third place console has ever sold like the ps3.

I'm sure Sony is thrilled with losing billions of dollars and market leader just so they can sell at that pace....in third place.

NKAJ said:
after looking at amazon and seeing the slim is already donw from first place i am entitled to think the ps3 wont make it to second

It's still at first place.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Sony wont beat nintendo! The nintendo wii is like pokemon epic!!!!

Everyones saying about the ps3 slim and reduced price but what about the wii? I know 5x more people who would pick up a wii if it became cheaper!

Sonys brand power is huge tho im surprised xbox has lasted this long agsinst it! Its like comparing gab to calvin cline!

However i think xbox has made the most of this gen! Its raised its brand awareness masively!! Its now seen as one of the games giants!

if ur question is :

can PS3 outsell Xbox360 after slim release then Yes it is possible

but for howlong ? that is another question..

Time to Work !

why do everyoe assume that PS3 will start outsellig Wii and 360? Because of the hype? Hype is created by people that already own a PS3