By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

^lol

Around the Network

How long is this guest host thing for Raw going to last? The guest hosts are usually a miss for me.

Mirson said:
How long is this guest host thing for Raw going to last? The guest hosts are usually a miss for me.

I actually thought Dule Hill did a pretty good job.

Though yeah, usually they don't make sense.

Dule Hill being guest host didn't really make sense... but he pulled it off i thought.

Kasz216 said:
Mirson said:

Dule Hill being guest host didn't really make sense... but he pulled it off i thought.

Did he host this week's Raw? I haven't seen it yet.

I'm talking about last week Jon Heder's, as well as Timbaland, some baseball player (don't remember his name, but he was awful) and others. Jon Heder was alright -personality wise-, but putting him in a match is kind of dumb. I know Raw is suppose to be more of an entertainment show, but eh. Just don't like it when hosts are wrestling unless they used to be wrestlers.

Though I am looking forward to William Shatner next week.

Mirson said:
Kasz216 said:
Mirson said:

Did he host this week's Raw? I haven't seen it yet.

I'm talking about last week Jon Heder's, as well as Timbaland, some baseball player (don't remember his name, but he was awful) and others. Jon Heder was alright -personality wise-, but putting him in a match is kind of dumb. I know Raw is suppose to be more of an entertainment show, but eh. Just don't like it when hosts are wrestling unless they used to be wrestlers.

Though I am looking forward to William Shatner next week.

Yeah, Dule Hill was on this week to promote todays Psyche.

He didn't wrestle or anything... but did a pretty good job playing a character of himself.

Yeah, hosts wrestling is bad news though... unless it was someone like... Shaq... soemone who seems like they can wrestle.

Hey then again David Arquette was WCW champion for a while!

Around the Network

I love the announcement on TNA tonight that they will be bringing back the long gone contender rankings. This will obviously set up a storyline where Jarrett is trying to climb his way back to the top amidst Bischoff's better attempts to keep him at the bottom.

spdk1 said:
I love the announcement on TNA tonight that they will be bringing back the long gone contender rankings. This will obviously set up a storyline where Jarrett is trying to climb his way back to the top amidst Bischoff's better attempts to keep him at the bottom.

I don't know why more wrestling groups don't use them.  I love contender rankings.

Kasz216 said:

I don't know why more wrestling groups don't use them.  I love contender rankings.

Because people don't bother to keep track of them, and they present an unnecessary and complicating variable when planning storylines.

True, you could just ignore or ditch the rankings if they get in the way of the story, but in that case, why even bother?

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Mise said:
Kasz216 said:

Because people don't bother to keep track of them, and they present an unnecessary and complicating variable when planning storylines.

True, you could just ignore or ditch the rankings if they get in the way of the story, but in that case, why even bother?

I actually think they ADD to storylines.  You have to get through other guys to get to the guy your fueding with....

Plus by taking out established contenders (like by putting a number next to their names) you build up someones hype and push more.

Not to mention you can always use some level of "BCS" polling where people move up and down at your leisure... juding squash matches and such.

I think it's much better then the current way of being #1 champion.  Demanding to be #1 champion... or ambushing the Champion backstage.

It's a surprise not everbody does it.

Kasz216 said:

I actually think they ADD to storylines.  You have to get through other guys to get to the guy your fueding with....

Plus by taking out established contenders (like by putting a number next to their names) you build up someones hype and push more.

Not to mention you can always use some level of "BCS" polling where people move up and down at your leisure... juding squash matches and such.

I think it's much better then the current way of being #1 champion.  Demanding to be #1 champion... or ambushing the Champion backstage.

It's a surprise not everbody does it.

That's basically the only storyline type they'd add to, and even their benefit in that situation is debatable - you can accomplish the same by having a crooked GM or someone just throwing the same guys in your path.

And people tend to only give a damn about their favorites, the current champ, and the guy who's next in line to the current champ. I honestly don't see people getting excited for a match for the #5 contender spot, or hell, even #3, especially when most companies have secondary or tertiary belts that can essentially accomplish the same thing, only better. Hell, the only company I remember using them is Ring of Honor.

I do agree that just demanding to be #1 contender or attacking the champ is an asinine way to get there - having tournaments or even single matches for the #1 spot would be much more preferable - like the late King of the Ring tourney, for instance.

EDIT: Apparently ROH has dropped and reinstated the thing quite a few times since people didn't care enough, and it seems to be active again.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.