By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

I'm going to start doing an editorial series about pro wrestling games starting next week. this will be monthly if I can keep it up....is there anything you would like me to discuss? It has to pertain to games rather than the sport itself.

Around the Network
spdk1 said:
I'm going to start doing an editorial series about pro wrestling games starting next week. this will be monthly if I can keep it up....is there anything you would like me to discuss? It has to pertain to games rather than the sport itself.

The juxtaposition of gameplay (Smackdown games vs Gamecube games)

The importance on customization (the bar was set by No Mercy)

The addition/removal of features over the years.

Impressive features (concerning the Story Mode/non-exhibition things)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

All I know is I want a new Aski game in the states. OH yeah Smackdown should bring back create a taunt. It sucked the first time but they should be able to do alot better now. They should bring back all the moves they took out from 06.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

spdk1 said:

One thing that puzzles me is how some things that were available in earlier games or even earlier generations (ability to place items anywhere on a character like in Day of Reckoning on the GC/ Background interactions like in earlier Smackdown games/ Inter-gender matches/etc) are available one year and gone the next.  It's not like all of the games weren't from THQ.  It seems like it's always one step forward and two steps back.

And what do you think is left to be explored in the genre?  Personally, I think the next step will be the ability to upload your own intro video and music.  Updateable rosters/ outfits/ move sets (via DLC). Maybe AI that doesn't behave so erratically.  Everything else is pretty much where I want it to be, as far as gameplay is concerned.  Do you have any ideas?

And lastly, why is it so hard for anybody to make a decent wrestling game, besides WWE (in America, anyway)?

I imagine the intergender matches left because the WWE doesn't think it fits their image. Like how they kept London and Kendrik out of the game in 07 when thy where the longest reigning tag champs in like a decade. It seems like it takes alot of work to make these games from scratch. Last years TNA game didn't even have half of the moves they motion captured in it.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Around the Network

I just saw WWE Raw in full for the first time in several years this past Monday.

For the first time in years, I found myself rooting for John Cena to win a match. That pale freak they call Sheamus was a jerkoff.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

thanks for the article suggestions guys, I'll keep those in mind....first one will be up this weekend sometime.

SaviorX said:
I just saw WWE Raw in full for the first time in several years this past Monday.

For the first time in years, I found myself rooting for John Cena to win a match. That pale freak they call Sheamus was a jerkoff.

I even prefer that pale freak to John Cena.  I loathe John Cena more than almost any wrestler that ever has ever been.  He is the number one reason that I haven't watched the WWE hardly at all in the last seven years.

I also watched Raw last Monday and am still amazed that Chris Jericho is by far (IMO),  the most entertaining personality on that show.  Every time I do tune in once in a while this remains the same.  It speaks volumes not only about how good he is, but of the mediocre levels that WWE has sunk to.   

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

first ringside seats article:

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6197

spdk1 said:

You talk about the realistic approach the wrestling games are going for vs. the arcade style they used to have. Like in the first few Smackdown games, you can have Trish Stratus scoop slam the Big Show...lol. Now, the lightweights can't even lift the big guys. Also the gameplay is slower and stiffer compared to the early games.

Another thing you can talk about is giving us more freedom; the latest Smackdown game has a create a story mode and create a finisher. I would love more options like that. The GM mode from Smackdown 2006 was addicting. I loved managing the shows and creating rivalries. Does the new Smackdown game have that mode?