By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Game Sign-up! Round 2: Revenge of the Townies

Imma just copy and paste the post from last time as most of the rules will be identical. Hopefully we can get a full boat this time. The game can run relatively quickly so hopefully more people turn up. The rules can be adjusted to allow more if there are slightly too few,.

THIS IS A SIGNUP THREAD FOR A FORUM-BASED GAME CALLED MAFIA. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN PLAYING THEN PLEASE ADD YOUR NAME TO THE LIST.

Mafia, also known as Werewolf, is a game originating in real life, but adapted for a forum setting. Basically, you have a small village of innocent people, but hidden among them is a group of mafia, whose sole goal is to have at least 50% of the population belong to their organization so that they can control the lynch-votes. Since they cannot recruit people, the only way to achieve this is bloody murder, but not more than one per night. The rest of the town uses their deductive abilities, along with some special roles, to find these infiltrators and lynch them. The town wins when there are no mafia left.

I am modding this game (tallying votes, announcing day/night, applying night PMs). There will be 3 mafia and 7 town players [of which 1 will be cop and 1 will be doctor].

Hopefully it should be fun!

How it works:

Pre-game:

- You sign up in this thread
- When 10 people have signed up, it's closed and I will PM you your role (nothing, Cop or Doctor) and alignment (Town or Mafia).
- I will then post the game thread.
- You will make a confirming post in the new thread once you recieve the PM.
- Once all 10 have done that, I announce Day 1 has begun.

In-game:

- The whole town votes to lynch one person per "day" (days last until a majority is reached or a deadline I set). If you are Town you should lynch mafia as when they are gone you win, if you are Mafia you should avoid being lynched until you make up 50% of the population but acting suspicious could kill you.
- Once a majority, or deadline is reached or after everyone has voted it is night-time.
- The Night is when people who are not regular townies send in their night actions, discuss among themselves (in this case the mafia), etc. You cannot not post in the thread when it is night. During the night, the mafia can PM each other and collectively vote to kill one person. Please CC me any PMs you send so I can check they're following the rules.
- Night ends when everyone's submitted a night action and the mafia have a majority of votes to kill someone or have decided not to kill anyone.
- It is then Day again and the cycle repeats until the Mafia or Town win.
- If someone is lynched, or killed during the night, they are dead and their alignment and special role and revealed in the morning (i.e. my IT'S NOW DAY post)

Special roles:

- There are two special roles - Cop and Doctor. There will be one of each, and they are both town-aligned (if town wins then you do)
- If you have a special role, no one else knows. You can announce it to the thread that you are one, but false claiming is allowed and you have to convince everyone you are one.
- The Cop investigates one person a night (PM me with the target of your investigation once it is night-time) and they are told whether that person is Town or Mafia.
- The Doctor can protect one person per night from mafia nightkill. (PM me with who you want to protect each night.) The doctor cannot protect themselves.

ADVICE:

- Mafia is a game of deduction based on what other people say. That's all you have to go on. If people claim various roles or say that they are Town/Mafia, they could be lying. If people are acting suspiciously when voting or analysing other people, they are probably Mafia.
- The Mafia all know who each other are. If people appear to be acting together they are probably mafia.
- If Mafia know you are a cop/doctor they will try any nightkill you. Doctors should generally stay hidden, and cops could attempt to get the protection of a doctor.
- Always think: why have people done that, said that, voted for that?
- Not voting, or voting "No Lynch", are acceptable tactics.
- Giving reasons as to why you think a given person is mafia/town is ENCOURAGED and helps everyone enjoy the game!

To Vote: You must bold it, if you don't and I miss it, it's not my fault! It should also be on a separate line such as:
Vote: Soriku

If you want to change a vote, do it in this manner:
Unvote: Soriku
Vote: Rolstoppable

Rules:
1. Do not talk about the game outside the game thread. This also means NO PMs or other outside communication, unless you are Mafia and it is nighttime.
2. Please stay on topic.
3. Don't lurk through the whole game; if you need to drop out, tell me. Persistent lurkers will be modkilled or replaced.
4. If you aren't part of the game, please do not post in the game thread.
5. Once I say that it's nighttime, do not post in the game thread AT ALL. Minor off topicness will be tolerated but please, do not discuss the game during night.
6. If you die, don't say anything for the rest of the game except a simple, "Bah, you got me," or "Urrghh" which reveals no information. Seriously, dead people, you are dead, stay that way. YOU ARE DEAD DEAD DEAD DEAD!
7. You may not post verbatim or quote from your role PM. Paraphrasing is fine. YOU MAY NOT QUOTE YOUR ROLE PM, anyone who does anything even close to this will be publicly executed or if I am feeling particularly nasty I might decide to give you a completely new role and I promise, YOU WILL HATE IT.
8. You may not edit your posts. This is to preempt the possibility of cheating by sending messages to other people and then editing them out. Or a for a number of other reasons. DON'T EDIT.

The game often takes a few days, but all that is required is a few useful posts here per day. If this is a success I may run further games. If you want to see how a game is usually played then read a couple of threads from this forum: http://echochamber.me/viewforum.php?f=53

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME, POST THEM IN THIS THREAD. Once the game has started you may ask questions to me too, but nothing that would spoil the game.

IF YOU WISH TO SIGN UP, COPY THIS LIST INTO YOUR POST AND ADD YOUR NAME TO THE BOTTOM. WHEN WE REACH 10 PLAYERS WE'RE SET.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

1. Craan

Might as well join again!

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie
4. Onyxmeth

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Now I know there are more interested than just this. I can tell as much by looking over the last game thread. Perhaps I should mention this thread there...

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie
4. Onyxmeth
5. Soleron

I've PM'd insomniac17 who expressed interest in joining another round during the last game.

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie
4. Onyxmeth
5. Soleron
6. Words Of Wisdom

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie
4. Onyxmeth
5. Soleron
6. Words Of Wisdom
7. insomniac17

I didn't see this thread... thanks for the PM, Soleron!

1. Craan
2. C03n3nj0
3. RCTjunkie
4. Onyxmeth
5. Soleron
6. Words Of Wisdom
7. insomniac17
8. zexen_lowe

I'll have my revenge