By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why you should buy an ARCADE XBOX 360 & why the others are rip-offs.

alterniatavly but a new 299 dollar ps3

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

It's pointless to have as part of your argument a do-it-yourself section with harddrives. Many people simply don't want to put in the work to build their own harddrive from seperate parts. What would have been more beneficial is to find retailers selling the actual harddrives cheaper than their typical retail price.

Yeah, I honestly have no interest in going through all of that.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Onyxmeth said:

It's pointless to have as part of your argument a do-it-yourself section with harddrives. Many people simply don't want to put in the work to build their own harddrive from seperate parts. What would have been more beneficial is to find retailers selling the actual harddrives cheaper than their typical retail price.

Why is it pointless?

Of all the video game consumer groups, I think the ones who visit gaming websites are among the most likely ones to be into upgrades, case mods, and do-it-yourself stuff.

I would agree if you were talking about the mass public, but this is a thread on vgChartz... not a column in the NYT.

It's pointless because this is a thread chronicling why the other models are rip-offs. You don't claim a retail product is a ripoff and then offer DIY as an alternative. You offer more affordable retail items. Part of the cost goes into it being a retail product. If he really wanted to to offer savings, he might as well have told us to buy broken 360's off Craiglist or eBay and offer DIY fixes on major malfunctions the consoles have. That'll save you a couple hundred also, as long as you know how to work with electronics and know what you're doing.

If you really think this is a site full of people interested in DIY, then you haven't been paying attention. When the 360 case mod thread went up, basically no one had anything to show. When a member asked in another thread how to build a fighting stick, most of the community didn't know how to help him. Most people here bitch about the 360 D-Pad, which means they haven't opened up their controllers and sanded the sides to improve it. I've yet to see any long going PS3 on Linux discussion between members that have tried it. There's really no indication there's an audience for this stuff on VGC, so offering a cheaper retail alternative is more helpful than a DIY will be when one talks about a retail product being a rip-off.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Onyxmeth said:

Why is it pointless?

Of all the video game consumer groups, I think the ones who visit gaming websites are among the most likely ones to be into upgrades, case mods, and do-it-yourself stuff.

I would agree if you were talking about the mass public, but this is a thread on vgChartz... not a column in the NYT.

It's pointless because this is a thread chronicling why the other models are rip-offs. You don't claim a retail product is a ripoff and then offer DIY as an alternative. You offer more affordable retail items. Part of the cost goes into it being a retail product. If he really wanted to to offer savings, he might as well have told us to buy broken 360's off Craiglist or eBay and offer DIY fixes on major malfunctions the consoles have. That'll save you a couple hundred also, as long as you know how to work with electronics and know what you're doing.

If you really think this is a site full of people interested in DIY, then you haven't been paying attention. When the 360 case mod thread went up, basically no one had anything to show. When a member asked in another thread how to build a fighting stick, most of the community didn't know how to help him. Most people here bitch about the 360 D-Pad, which means they haven't opened up their controllers and sanded the sides to improve it. I've yet to see any long going PS3 on Linux discussion between members that have tried it. There's really no indication there's an audience for this stuff on VGC, so offering a cheaper retail alternative is more helpful than a DIY will be when one talks about a retail product being a rip-off.

DUDE, I already edited the OP, and replied to your comment and suggested an +$8.00 pre-made alternative... There are tons of people on eBay willing to make $8 - $10 off of putting them together the same way.

I remember googling something about the arcade and coming up with 15+ Articles calling the Arcade a rip-off and rubbish.

I really shoulda just posted the HDD link that I edited in before I posted, but I really didn't think anyone would bitch about it...

sguy78 said:
Onyxmeth said:

Yeah, I honestly have no interest in going through all of that.

FOR ALL OF YOU WHO CAN'T SEEM TO READ MY REPLIES TO YOU:

"EDIT: If you're not tech-saavy enough to make your own HDD, you can easily get one pre-made for you on ebay for about $8 more. You won't save quite as much, but you'll still save a significant amount:

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_BIN=1&LH_IncludeSIF=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2208&_nkw=120+GB+HDD+XBOX+360&_dmpt=Video_Games_Accessories&_ipg=&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1"

- THE OP.

Around the Network

The other point to make is for people buying more then one console for multiple TVs in the home.

Buy one Elite, then go buy Arcades the rest of the time. All you have to do is detach your hard drive and attach it to any 360 and it will work fine.

L.C.E.C. said:
Onyxmeth said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Onyxmeth said:

Why is it pointless?

DUDE, I already edited the OP, and replied to your comment and suggested an +$8.00 pre-made alternative... There are tons of people on eBay willing to make $8 - $10 off of putting them together the same way.

I remember googling something about the arcade and coming up with 15+ Articles calling the Arcade a rip-off and rubbish.

I really shoulda just posted the HDD link that I edited in before I posted, but I really didn't think anyone would bitch about it...

My response wasn't for you. I acknowledge you made an edit. This was written specifically for WoW and his reply to me.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

NeoRatt said:
The other point to make is for people buying more then one console for multiple TVs in the home.

Buy one Elite, then go buy Arcades the rest of the time. All you have to do is detach your hard drive and attach it to any 360 and it will work fine.

If you have that much money you might as well get a locationfree player or a slingbox...