By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Alan Wake Thread

Welcome To

Game Information:

Alan Wake is a psychological action thriller, a unique new take in the world of gaming. The game is set in an idyllic all-American small town and its surroundings in the state of Washington. Alan Wake, the game's protagonist, is a bestselling horror writer, who writes a novel about his darkest nightmares. In the game, those nightmares come true. As with Remedy's previous games, story and atmosphere are fundamental elements.

In Alan Wake we want to weave the story tightly into the gameplay. Combining intense and cinematic storytelling with player freedom is an interesting and exciting challenge," says Sam Lake, Lead Writer, "Mood and atmosphere are essential parts of a thriller, and we want them to be present throughout the whole gameplay experience."

The game features a massive, open world for the players to explore. The game design is mission based with the player as the driving force behing the action, and as with their previous games, Remedy again focuses completely on delivering the best possible single player experience.

"We're putting a huge effort into building a free-roaming, living world for the players." says Petri Jarvilehto, Lead Game Designer, "The true power of the next generation comes from the dynamic nature of the environment, not only making things pretty, but also making the world more versatile, varied and immersive."

The use of light is a significant gameplay element. Remedy has developed proprietary new technology to support the gameplay of the title and to push the high definition visuals to the next level.

Alan Wake is currently being developed for the Xbox 360 and every piece of screenshot and video footage for the last 4 years has been from the Xbox 360 version of the game according to Remedy.

• Alan knows learns to use a gun during his research at the shooting range for one of his previous publications.
  • Even though the game is not sandbox anymore its not completely linear either, the episodes are played over large parts of the game world. The player can make his own decisions and explore the world for hidden stuff to uncover more of the mystery.
  • Since the monsters cannot survive in sunlight, During the day Alan can interact with the NPCs in the town of Brightfalls.
  • Some pages of the manuscript are required for the game to progress but its up to the player to search for the rest of the pages.
  •  

Media Impressions:

We're glad Alan Wake still exists: for a while we had no reason to even believe we'd ever see it. Now it's up to Remedy to take the game to the next level and make us glad it's in stores. From what we've seen, it captures a mysterious and nerve wracking vibe and we're eager to see what happens in Alan Wake's next episode. While the game won't see release until 2010, the environments are already impressive.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/03/impressions-alan-wake/

The demo we saw was an extended version of the trailer shown at the Microsoft press briefing. We got to see a little bit more of the comic relief character Barry, more possessed machinery (a bulldozer), and more of how the light source weapons work and the tactics you’ll you in the game. I was really impressed with what I saw as it’s obvious the guys at Remedy have been working on crafting the game experience as well as the game play mechanics. Of course we have to wait until Spring 2010 for the game but it’s nice to know the folks at Remedy have used their time wisely.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/FullNews/E3-2009-Alan-Wake-Impressions/Item12851.aspx

The game is all about atmosphere and it delivers in a few ways. The game’s control over the day/night cycle is done purposefully to add the element of dark and fear to the player. The next component is the feeling that at any moment any object can come hurling at you due to the dark presence. As Alan walked through a part of a dimly lit street, a car which appeared nothing more than a stationary object suddenly hurled itself at Alan. Moments like this in combination with the music of Alan Wake really give it a survival horror feel. In certain key moments the game also enhances the cinematic feeling by imploring bullet time as Alan is about to strike a critical blow or be attacked by surprise.

Even in a room full of people I genuinely felt fear for my character in Alan Wake. The game is extremely story driven and delivers a deep, engaging, thriller experience to the player. It was very exciting to see a game we had heard very little from over the past few years show up and turn out to be in such wonderful shape. I cannot wait to try Alan Wake for myself in the coming months ahead of its Spring 2010 release.

http://ve3tro.com/3405/alan-wake-impressions/

Based on everything I've seen so far, though, Alan Wake is already one of the most interesting, and one of my most anticipated, upcoming games over the next year. Here's to hoping it lives up to its potential.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989278p1.html

The graphics for Alan Wake are among the best we have seen for a game ever. Obviously light and shadow play a big part in the game and those elements are used very well in the visuals. Character and item models are very detailed and the overall dark and foreboading mood that's needed in this kind of action-adventure hybird is front and center here.

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/06/05/e3-2009-alan-wake-eyes-on-impressions/

Screenshots:

Videos/Trailers:

Around the Network

That is a meaty OP. Well done. Game looks great.

Does look good, the scenery looks amazing, but i'm not so sure of the characters face's , but they did say it all there doing now is polishing

Yeah this game looks to have great game play. A first day buy for me.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Alan Wake....Alan Sleepy now...(just a joke)

Around the Network
    JaggedSac said:
    That is a meaty OP. Well done. Game looks great.

Good work Selnor...we apreciate your hard work man,don`t worry!

impressive work for an impressive game

best looking game this gen for me so far.

Naturally first day buy for me because it is made by finnish studio and we don't have too many bigger/quality gaming studios here. =P And it looks that this will be awesome game. =)

KillerMan said:

Naturally first day buy for me because it is made by finnish studio and we don't have too many bigger/quality gaming studios here. =P And it looks that this will be awesome game. =)

Same stuff.

Maybe put Remedy on there, makers of Max payne?

Take my love, take my land..