By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's amazing how effective Sony's "PS3 power" PR has been.

My sister bought a PS3 for my nephew back in 2007 because she thought it was miles ahead of the 360. I tired to tell her that the games run better on the 360, but she didn't listen. After all the problems they had with PS3 ports she caved in and bought a 360 which gets more use to this day.

Note: I realise thrid party games are pretty equal across platforms now, but the story was different back in 2007 & 2008.

Around the Network

Back in 2007, there just weren't a lot of games on the PS3 that were really worth buying until the holiday season. Of course, the exact same thing applied to the Xbox until right about when Gears debuted a year after debut.

For the first year of any console, it really doesn't pay to be an early adopter unless you're a gaming fan that insists on being one of the first.

Paying the initial price doesn't help much either given the low first year library. It typically means the early adopter ends up buying more than just a couple clunkers that they never would have bought had a better library been available (and developers know this well).

But if you thought 2008 was a short year for PS3 games, it was an even shorter year for the Xbox based on exclusives.

greenmedic88 said:
Back in 2007, there just weren't a lot of games on the PS3 that were really worth buying until the holiday season. Of course, the exact same thing applied to the Xbox until right about when Gears debuted a year after debut.

For the first year of any console, it really doesn't pay to be an early adopter unless you're a gaming fan that insists on being one of the first.

Paying the initial price doesn't help much either given the low first year library. It typically means the early adopter ends up buying more than just a couple clunkers that they never would have bought had a better library been available (and developers know this well).

But if you thought 2008 was a short year for PS3 games, it was an even shorter year for the Xbox based on exclusives.

Exclusives huh? I can only really think of one really big one for the Xbox 360 and one really big one for the PS3, the rest are pretty much chaff.

Tease.

2008 was Fable II, Gears 2, and I honestly can't remember anything else in that same category. I could venture Ninja Gaiden 2, but that game turned out to be a bit of a bust sales-wise and I say that as someone who bought a copy.

Halo Wars? While demonstrating it is possible to do a decent RTS on a console, it hardly drew "Halo" sales. I genuinely wonder how many Xbox fans bought that game just because it was a part of the Halo franchise.

I tend not to look at games that show up for Windows as "exclusives" since I usually end up buying the PC version over the Xbox version.

MGS4, Resistance 2, LBP for the PS3.

With all the crossover these days, if you're tied to one console only, they should play a fair role in deciding which is best for each individual gamer.

greenmedic88 said:

2008 was Fable II, Gears 2, and I honestly can't remember anything else in that same category. I could venture Ninja Gaiden 2, but that game turned out to be a bit of a bust sales-wise and I say that as someone who bought a copy.

Halo Wars? While demonstrating it is possible to do a decent RTS on a console, it hardly drew "Halo" sales. I genuinely wonder how many Xbox fans bought that game just because it was a part of the Halo franchise.

I tend not to look at games that show up for Windows as "exclusives" since I usually end up buying the PC version over the Xbox version.

With all the crossover these days, if you're tied to one console only, they should play a fair role in deciding which is best for each individual gamer.

Halo Wars is 2009...

I have a gaming PC too, but I recognise that im a minority in owning multiple gaming platforms and if it comes on the Xbox 360 and not PS3 thats exclusive enough to count.

Anyway

MGS + LBP + R2 = GoW 2 + F2 + L4D pretty much in terms of impact.

Tease.

Around the Network

ps3 has only "TEH CELL!!1111!" rest of the hardware is outdated - both BD player and RSX were outdated already on launch day. it's just brainwashing. both pc, 360 exclusive and multiplatform games look way better than ps3 exclusive games and that's a fact, but when sony is screaming everyday "our console is better just look at X Game - just don't look at anything else" you know it will have effect in the long run.

Squilliam said:
greenmedic88 said:

Halo Wars is 2009...

I have a gaming PC too, but I recognise that im a minority in owning multiple gaming platforms and if it comes on the Xbox 360 and not PS3 thats exclusive enough to count.

Anyway

L4D was a PC game. I didn't even consider buying the Xbox version, and frankly, I'm surprised at anyone who owned a PC capable of running Orange Box who did.

Fable 2 and Gears 2 were the only big Xbox exclusives.

greenmedic88 said:
Squilliam said:
greenmedic88 said:

Halo Wars is 2009...

Anyway

L4D was a PC game. I didn't even consider buying the Xbox version, and frankly, I'm surprised at anyone who owned a PC capable of running Orange Box who did.

Fable 2 and Gears 2 were the only big Xbox exclusives.

Considering that fact it made the impact of the game, given its 2M+ sales even greater than a game like LBP or R2 which were purely exclusive.

Tease.

Its an xbox 360 with a shit pad!

So does that means the PC version sold less? No one knows since PC sales are almost impossible to track given the unreleased DD numbers.

Either there are less than 2m gaming PCs with the modest specs required to run L4D, it was pirated enough times to cut deeply into sales, or it actually sold better than the Xbox port.

Either way, all sales of L4D were not restricted to the Xbox.