By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - $199 or $249 PS3 could be on the way

In the huge ship of rumors about the PS3 price cut,there are also some which are saying $199 PS3 is on its ways.Well it could possibly be on its ways.Earlier in the year when Sony reported its earnings for the previous year,it also said that year 2009-10 will again be a loss making year for the Playstation set of products.

We all know that the PS2 and PSP are making profits.It was also recently reported from a Sony Vice-president that PS3 maufacturing cost were slashed 70%,so it is now costing them only $240 to manufatuaring the PS3s,link.

They made loss in the first quarter but if they keep selling at their current price,they are making profit now and they will recoup that loss made in the first quarter during the rest of the financial year.Now you would say that Sony are going to make a price cut of $100,even if they made a $100 price cut,still they will be in profits and recoup the first quarter loss.

So how did they predict that 2009-10 will again be a loss making year for the playstation products,their can be only one answer,a huge price-cut is on its way?

$199 price is very unlikely as it would again be the same as the previous year,where PS3 making costs were $40 more than its selling price.$249 price is more likely as it will just cost Sony about $10-20 more than its selling price if you add the shipping cost and othe misc costs,and as preddicted by Sony they will be making loss with this price cut.

Around the Network

That would be too drastic of a cut. Why give up the profits if people are willing to buy it at $299?

Sony filling for bankruptcy on the way too?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

wow forget $349 or $299...lets make it $199!! XD

A $199 PS3 and a $249 PSP Go...... Hmmmmm Yeah never gonna happen.

First, the only time a $199 PS3 was even mentioned was the stupid joke by David Jaffe which he pronounced as such.

Second, the now ~$250 production cost (if it is that low. still no confirmation) could only possibly be for the upcoming Slim models, NOT the current 80/160gb fats.

Third, you have to account for them selling the consoles for less than the retail price to the actual resellers. Even if the cost of production for the Slims really is as low as $250, they have to sell them for about $15 less each to the retailers. Then as someone has mentioned before, this does not include the costs of packaging or the added controller. If Sony launched a $300 Slim, they would have to sell it to retailers for about $285 and after the other costs are factored in they would just be breaking even per console sold.

And I still don't believe Sony is producing Slims at $250 a pop. They only gave us a "rough percentage" based on an initial cost we can only estimate. After all the reductions to make a slim, it seems they would still be about $25-50 more than $250, so about $275-300 to produce rather than $250. I guess we can only wait for some final confirmations and clarifications.

Around the Network

Most of the PS3s are already selling at $350 at discount of some kind or the other and Amazon just cut the price for 160gb PS3 to $450.What would a $50 cut do?

And Sony already predicted that this will be a loss making year,so they are not concentrating on profits

200 is not only mass market price, it would be the ultimate throwdown against MS. If it really does go to 199, the console wars will officially be on

YES you are so right coz Sony is known for CHEAP PRICES, they NEVER try to milk their customers first

Improvements are caused by people who complain

nightsurge said:
A $199 PS3 and a $249 PSP Go...... Hmmmmm Yeah never gonna happen.

First, the only time a $199 PS3 was even mentioned was the stupid joke by David Jaffe which he pronounced as such.

Second, the now ~$250 production cost (if it is that low. still no confirmation) could only possibly be for the upcoming Slim models, NOT the current 80/160gb fats.

Third, you have to account for them selling the consoles for less than the retail price to the actual resellers. Even if the cost of production for the Slims really is as low as $250, they have to sell them for about $15 less each to the retailers. Then as someone has mentioned before, this does not include the costs of packaging or the added controller. If Sony launched a $300 Slim, they would have to sell it to retailers for about $285 and after the other costs are factored in they would just be breaking even per console sold.

And I still don't believe Sony is producing Slims at $250 a pop. They only gave us a "rough percentage" based on an initial cost we can only estimate. After all the reductions to make a slim, it seems they would still be about $25-50 more than $250, so about $275-300 to produce rather than $250. I guess we can only wait for some final confirmations and clarifications.

What the hell did i say then?They will be making it for $240,abt $10-15 shipping cost and abt $10-15 retailer profit.So that is abt $270-280.No company lets retailer take $25-50 on their product as profits.The main reason was saying all this because Sony predicted it to be a loss making year,if they sell it at $299,they will be able to make profit and that is not their motive this year.

Why not risk a $199? I would smash my xbox 360 and wii if that ever happens. I will even post it here for the heck of it.