By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Folklore seems like a mixed bag

73% isn't really bad. Let's be honest, every game isn't going to be a great AAA game. Being a gamer is about playing and enjoying games, not buying the most hyped games. I don't know about you guys, but every console has games that I need to play. One or 2 systems isn't enough for me.

Around the Network

I agree. 73% is in the "good" range of reviews, and obviously some people will really like the game (IGN). I also agree that there are games I would like to play on all consoles. Unfortunately two consoles is probably my limit for the majority of this generation. There are people out there who can afford all 3, and they are very lucky, but they probably aren't college students working, going to class, and then coming home to a studio apartment either lol. I already have both handhelds and between them and my Wii and PS2 I'm fine for now, but I'm sure I'll end up with a 360 or PS3 before too long.

It got reviewed on Teletext here in UK; 5 out of 10.
admitedly teletext isn't the most respected of reviewers but they are certainly not biased toward the PS3.

Honestly, the game sounds a lot like "Lost Kingdom" for the gamecube, which was just a quirky style of gameplay. Having to switch between equips and fables is probably just the counter to "Lost Kingdom"'s only having so many attacks to play.

It sounds a little too "Dungeon Crawling" for me as i'm not a big Dungeon Crawler type. Last game i played like that, that i enjoyed was "Summon Knight".

I perfer more expansive things in scope. Call me claustraphobic, but going down, basically one straight path. Still i'll probably check it out when I get a PS3.

Doesn't appear to be selling too well on Amazon. It's been floating below 60 on the best sellers list. That's a very bad sign.

Around the Network

@FishyJoe: It wasn't that a big game anyway, so expecting it to have a 100k debut like HS is too much. And the reviews maybe aren't that bad as for Lair but still are under 80%.
I expect it have about 40k in openning week with decent legs.

I played the demo and I liked it other than that stupid jerking motion required to yank souls from enemies.

For some reason (possibly because you have to grip the controller with two hands), the upward jerking motion with the SixAxis isn't nearly as accurate as it is with the Wii (ba dum bum).

I have no problems with motion controls whatsoever but I do have problems with inaccurate motion controls (side-to-side/front-to-back works wonderfully on Sixaxis but sudden motions don't seem nearly as reliable). The reason I don't think it's my mental retardation is because I've noticed it in three games now (HS, Lair, FL) and another longterm gamer who I write with has had the exact same complaints about sudden motion with the Sixaxis. Neither one of us had any problems steering AfterTouch in HS or steering a dragon in Lair (not considering the immense lag in that shitbox of a game).

Anyway, I hope to have a full review of this game early next week. Damn, my plate is full. Phantom Hourglass, Orange Box, now FolkLore... Ugh.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Saw Folklore at Gamestop last night, but it was up on the top shelf, and the only PS3 game I saw bought while I was there was a copy of that new FIFA game. Guy said it was the reason he bought a PS3.

Incidentally, Gamestop seems to be backing Sony, in a way....every single advertisement on the front of the store was for either PS2, PS3, or was the entire other wall, which was one huge Tools of Destruction ad. I didn't see ANY adverts for 360 or Wii at all.

@rocketpig
You only have to hold it with one hand, really. I usually just let go with my left hand and give it kind of an over-the-shoulder tug with my right to pull souls out, works really well. Like I'm tossing a rock behind me.

Apostrovich said:
@rocketpig
You only have to hold it with one hand, really. I usually just let go with my left hand and give it kind of an over-the-shoulder tug with my right to pull souls out, works really well. Like I'm tossing a rock behind me.

I realize that you're not forced to hold the controller with both hands but in hectic situations like HS counterattacks, you don't really have time to remove your hand and then get it back in place and keep fighting.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/