By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Old Republic will be full voice!

This is probably going to be a HUGE feature of the game...the graphics aren't mind-blowing (although it's probably not the final cut), so it's going to ride on things like this to ensure it out competee others.  With the changes to Eve and the new Star Trek game, not to mention Star Wars Galaxies, this game is going to have some major competition.  WoW is probably going to take a hit, unless Blizzard seriously tweaks the game in the next expansion from the gear-fest it currently is.  Anyway, I'll be there on launch for SW:TOR

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-3

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

getting closer and closer to my first MMO

coolbeans said:
Well they already announced it'd be full voice-over already. But yes, this game looks like it'll be the equivalent to sex for MMO's (yes I used to play WoW).

Yeah, I know they had, and I was meh about it, until you actually SEE it inplay...it is definitely a game changer.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

ugh...i so hate what they are doing with this. i don't thing anything can be done to make this product appealing to me. i hope eventually there is an appropriate sequel on the 360.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

coolbeans said:
jcp234 said:
 i hope eventually there is an appropriate sequel on the 360.
This all the way, although I like what TOR's doing they need to get back to finishing the series up with KOTOR 3.

Trilogies are the way togo, imho, and the lack of a third game in the series is a complete head scratcher...KOTOR 1 & 2 were some of the biggest games on the original xbox, so you would think that it would have been out near launch for the 360.  I think M$ dropped the ball on Kotor 3, by not engaging Lucasart for a follow-on...or maybe they have, and we just don't know about it.

Around the Network

I doubt you'll see a KoTOR 3 aside from this MMO. 360's KoTOR is call Mass Effect and is a trilogy.

I have to hand it to Bioware. Full voice for a MMO is a huge leap of faith because the costs involved must be staggering and that's on top of the already enormous costs of developing a first rate MMO.

It's a good thing Bioware is now part of EA because if this failed it probably would've taken Bioware down with it otherwise. I have the upmost faith in Bioware's abilities but this is damn ambitious and risky route they've taken. Good for them. Hope it's a huge success.

If I didn't have to pay for it every month, I would pick this up on day one.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Gamerace said:
I doubt you'll see a KoTOR 3 aside from this MMO. 360's KoTOR is call Mass Effect and is a trilogy.

I have to hand it to Bioware. Full voice for a MMO is a huge leap of faith because the costs involved must be staggering and that's on top of the already enormous costs of developing a first rate MMO.

It's a good thing Bioware is now part of EA because if this failed it probably would've taken Bioware down with it otherwise. I have the upmost faith in Bioware's abilities but this is damn ambitious and risky route they've taken. Good for them. Hope it's a huge success.

The cost are going to be astronomical, but if they do it right, the payoff is going to be HUGE.  WoW cost Blizzard $200 million (according to some estimates from last year), but without  a doubt, the ROI for the project have been thru the roof.  I think SW:TOR has the potential to deliver a million plus level subscribers base, conservatively speaking. 

WRT to KOTOR, I think the ball might still be in M$'s court.  I don't think Bioware controls it, and it might actually be Lucasarts, which means a separate developer could do it...Bioware did KOTOR, but Obsidian did KOTOR 2.

I hope it succeeds and dethrones a certain mmo.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Aion said:
I hope it succeeds and dethrones a certain mmo.

I'll assume you're talking about WoW...and it can happen, if Blizzard gets lazy, but if they actually decide to deliver some innovation to WoW, I don't think it's going to happen quick...gradually over time, yes...WoW will likely fade, but I will be in SW:TOR from launch, and I have not intention of leaving WoW.

BTW from my earleir post, Lucasarts IS the one who controls KOTOR, not Bioware, and considering that SW:TOR takes place 300 years later, there's ALOT of room for another KOTOR, if not more.  Look how many games have been sqeeuzed into the 50 or so year period of the movie series.