By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast overrated?

I love my Dreamcast. It's not the world's great console, but I still love it.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network

Dreamcast was the last system with the arcadey style of gameplay (until the wii). Sure it had your hardcore play the game for 60 hours types of games (shenmue, headhunter many others) but it had manyt games you would turn on and have fun within 2 minutes of pushing the power on button.

I sold my dreamcast in 2001 for the PS2 when it came out. All I can say is that PS2 BLEW! compared to the dreamcast until christmas 2002 and beyond. Even with Metal gear sold 2 (a dissapointemnt compared to the first one)

So no, it is not overrated...DC for first 2 years of gaming > any console in the history for first 2 years. Simple.

yes overated, but still great

hell no, you are overrated

FKNetwork said:

Also, have any of you played your dreamcasts lately then played the wii after? I think the dreamcast easily matches the wii on some games, daytona, crazy taxi and sonic easily match a lot of games on the wii, maybe slightly better (shock horror!)

No. Play Sonic Adventure, then play Sonic and the Secret Rings, and say that again.

Dreamcast's games were fine, but they were not graphical standouts even in their own generation

Dreamcast is like anything (or anyone) that was awesome and was killed before its proper time, due to its early death, the great things it accomplished were maginified probably beyond what they should have been. The Dreamcast had great games, but the reverent way people refer to it is probably somewhat unwarranted.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I didn't like the Dreamcast. I preferred the ps2.

I'm still waiting for a new power stone to this day, come on Capcom! It's also scary that I'm now turning my DC on more than the 360 ever since I stopped paying for XBL, that's how many good games there were in it's 2 year life spam.