By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Super Mario Galaxy live up to the hype?

Actually, I think you all are being pussies. It's not like he was glamorizing Nazism or Hitler. Just trying to demonify Mario ... and be a little troll. Which is kinda stupid since he made such a big deal about it in his threads.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Actually, I think you all are being pussies. It's not like he was glamorizing Nazism or Hitler. Just trying to demonify Mario ... and be a little troll. Which is kinda stupid since he made such a big deal about it in his threads.
 I just feel that putting up that picture was incredibally offensive to a large group of people. For example anyone who lost a relative in the holocaust probably wouldnt find Hitler Mario that amusing. 

of course

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

What Hype? I've not seen "Mario banks here" signs outside of banks or Mario Galaxy Mountain Dew.

Halo 3 for me didnt quite live up to the hype so i suppose theres every possiblity that SMG might not either. But i have my hopes.

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

Considering pretty much all of the hype has been built around feedback of people who have played it, rather than advertising by Nintendo, i'm not too worried..

Deleted by moderator.

tabsina said:
Considering pretty much all of the hype has been built around feedback of people who have played it, rather than advertising by Nintendo, i'm not too worried..

Good point. In addition, most of the videos and screenshots are of actuall real time gameplay, not cut scenes. 

It's not like it advocates Nazism or glorifies it in any way. It was very obviously a joke - a clearly self-aware reductio ad Hitlerum.

Any offense taken from this is only a result of a portrayal of Nazi symbols, and that seems an awfully high bar for decency standards. He's not communicating an offensive idea, he's not being serious, he's not actually making any claims at all about the Nazis, and to the extent that he does mean Hitler to be analogous to Mario, he's saying something negative given his view of Mario.

Can it be painful for some people? Yes, and that's regrettable. You can censure someone for deliberately offending another (calling someone, particularly a Jew, a Nazi without really good reason), for taking an absurd and offensive position (Holocaust denial), or for generally acting to glorify something evil. However, he's just talking about Nazism. Surely the topic on which someone speaks isn't something that they should be censured for.

Surely we all agree that a serious discussion of Nazism is fine. Is the problem that he's using swastikas to make a joke? Again, this isn't a standard that we usually apply - lots of people make jokes all the time about past atrocities, and a message board is closer in culture to a school cafeteria than to an office building. I think the problem is less that he's being too offensive and more that some are too sensitive. Anyone who would be deeply hurt by this image would be hurt by any reminder of the Nazi regime, and that's too restrictive.

Good points GotchayeX. That's how I saw it, and as someone whose grandparents were Holocaust survivors I really don't see how it could have been anything more then a joke. I admit it, I laughed. The thing is, if he really wanted to be offensive and trollish he could have posted up a picture of tub girl or that goatse guy and it would have been sick and nothing funny about that. I'd rather see someone post a picture like Hitler Mario then anything perverted and just sick.