By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OFFICIAL: 40Gb Announced!!!

^The 40GB model is just a more stream line model.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

400 euros is $600 in America. Your still paying a big price.

@SSj12, yeah, the 40 gig is for people who don't NEED bc unlike gamingdevil here, people who can stand to let go of the past and accept the future for what it already is.

On a unrelated note, If you have a 40 inch LCD tv and don't have a next gen system, it must be stolen :)

It's extremely rich that many of the same people who say there are 100 million people loyal to the PS brand are down playing the BC issue.

I have to the CONCUSION of thinking that this is getting RIDICULOUS

I don't beleive sum people are considering BC more important then BLU-RAY

n the Ps3 games

I DID NOT say I don't play PS2 games just cus of the bad grfx

but what gameplay on Ps2 is there now, where the Ps3 doesn't have a game like that

FPS - Resistance

Racing - Motorstorm/dirt

RPG - Oblivion

now if your some1 who keeps playing FFX over n over again on your Ps2, it's not SONY's problem

LET GO of the ps2 now

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Around the Network

I don't give a rats butt about Blu-ray, I just bought a 20 inch LCD 720p HDTV. In order to view Blu-ray movies you need a 1080p HDTV. I don't have the money and I can care less again on the Blu-ray format. On the games side, I still see no reason for a purchase. FFXIII is way far away for being released and MGS4 is getting ready to come out. If MGS4 doesn't do enough good sales then the PS3 is questionable on the future and winning 2nd place.

Right now Sony really do need to rethink their strategy as on the gaming side. Microsoft has done a good job at keeping a regular DVD player in the 360. Because they know millions if not millions, trillons of people have a DVD player and know about a DVD player. Blu-ray is new and questionable. On a gaming side its good as far as storage. But having a Blu-ray player now and having to own a 1080p TV just to look at Blu-ray movies is rather gay.

I will continue to be on standby and not warrant a purchase on the PS3. I don't even have a desire to even trade in my 360 for a PS3. Now that is sad considering I stuck with the PS brand since PS1 and PS2 and PSP. PS3 is just a questionable console in my opinion.

darthdevidem said:
I have to the CONCUSION of thinking that this is getting RIDICULOUS

I don't beleive sum people are considering BC more important then BLU-RAY

n the Ps3 games

I DID NOT say I don't play PS2 games just cus of the bad grfx

but what gameplay on Ps2 is there now, where the Ps3 doesn't have a game like that

FPS - Resistance

Racing - Motorstorm/dirt

RPG - Oblivion

now if your some1 who keeps playing FFX over n over again on your Ps2, it's not SONY's problem

LET GO of the ps2 now

Thank you so much for that comment, everything I have been saying is summed up by that comment.

I have a friend who loves his PS2.

He has a lot of games on it and he plays it regularly.  He doesn't like the Wiimote pointer and isn't really a fan of the 360 lineup (I think he needs to look more closely on this...). 

The only things stopping him from buying a PS3 are:  Price and Backwards Compatibility.

Sony just destroyed one more opportunity to sell a console. 

I'm very sure that he isn't alone in his position.

W29 said:
I don't give a rats butt about Blu-ray, I just bought a 20 inch LCD 720p HDTV. In order to view Blu-ray movies you need a 1080p HDTV. I don't have the money and I can care less again on the Blu-ray format. On the games side, I still see no reason for a purchase. FFXIII is way far away for being released and MGS4 is getting ready to come out. If MGS4 doesn't do enough good sales then the PS3 is questionable on the future and winning 2nd place.

Right now Sony really do need to rethink their strategy as on the gaming side. Microsoft has done a good job at keeping a regular DVD player in the 360. Because they know millions if not millions, trillons of people have a DVD player and know about a DVD player. Blu-ray is new and questionable. On a gaming side its good as far as storage. But having a Blu-ray player now and having to own a 1080p TV just to look at Blu-ray movies is rather gay.

I will continue to be on standby and not warrant a purchase on the PS3. I don't even have a desire to even trade in my 360 for a PS3. Now that is sad considering I stuck with the PS brand since PS1 and PS2 and PSP. PS3 is just a questionable console in my opinion.

First, there are only six billion people in the world trillion is over 999 billion so that comment is wrong.  Also, this conversation is not about the blu-ray format.  This is about whether the bc is a dealbreaker for the price to be dropped.  The question is do you care that it does not have bc.  Whether or not Blu-Ray or HD-DVD will win is unknown.  And whether or not YOU see the reason for a purchase does not matter.  This price is for the person (me) who was not on the fence of buying it but didn't have the money to pay for it now that the new model has came out (hopefully to the america's with the $399 price tag) I will definetly take that price and buy that PS3.  Why would anyone trade a 360 for a PS3?  We all know 360 (for now) has the games and has a better public opinion but I believe this price may help some consumers. 

@fkusomot

Great way to take a comment out of context you get a silver star. I do not think I said that the source was wrong, or that the information was wrong. I said that the person who was a poster on another forum might be hoaxer, and that could explain their comments. Which should be obvious to anyone that read my post. The fact that there are hoaxers out there should serve as ample incentive to not reward them by doing their work for them. Those are words of wisdom nothing more. They are also common sense when it comes to the internet.

@Sony Boosters.

This is bad news for the Playstation brand. Backwards compatibility has always been one of their greatest sales features. They instantly went from a library of thousands of titles. To a library with less then a hundred. How can that be a good thing it takes away choices from consumers. Further more it hurts developers that lose long term sales off bargain titles. Finally they have generated less incentive for current loyalists to move up.

I am not entirely shocked that Sony did that. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, and part of me wanted to see them do something smart for a change. Unfortunately it seems they are more intent on selling a format rather then maintaining a consistent high quality experience.

Really shocked that some of you are not offended by this, and more importantly disheartened to see that many think this is a good idea. I am even more disturbed by the fact that your defending the logic Sony is using. Being gamers you should know better, and more importantly cherish your old games much more then you obviously do.

I have personally seen Sony pull similar stunts to this in the past. I would have thought they had learned by now. Obviously they have not learned anything about loyalty to your dedicated customers. This is actually fantastic news for Microsoft and Nintendo. Their libraries are now huge in comparison, and Sony has broken its covenant with gamers.

I can't wait for the first week of sales. I will make a prediction that the surge in sales will be no more then twenty five percent. This new unit will rot on shelves, and the sales of the other two consoles will do much better over the long run. Sony just abandoned its previous generations customer base.