By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OFFICIAL: 40Gb Announced!!!

HappySqurriel is right.

I'm one of the unwashed masses (I haven't yet taken a shower today). I was thinking if the lower model came out in the US, I would get it to replace my PS2 once my PS2 bit the dust. I also have an extensive game collection on the PS2 that I wouldn't abandon. The price is pretty much the only thing keeping me from getting a PS3 right now. And with there being so many models, the higher priced ones are going to stay higher priced for longer. That just delays my purchase. I know I'm inevitably going to have to break down and buy the higher priced model, but it'll be a long time in coming.

Around the Network

I'll admit that I didn't think that the BS-less rumors were true, but they are. However, it could be something that could be patched into the 40gb should Sony find a way to add the full software emulation in an update and have it be 80%+ compatible. Will this happen? Eventually I think so, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

You have to keep in mind what the typical gamer thinks compared to those of us here who are hardcore. I talked to a friend of mine who plays games once in a while, but wants to get the PS3. I told him about the new 40gb model, but told him that it wouldn't play PS2 games.. He said, "I really don't care, I didn't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. That's like buying a Porsche and only driving it in a parking lot at walmart."

Maybe it really isn't as big of a deal as some people make it out to be here.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

DMeisterJ said:
@Dtewi ha ha ha...

@mr marc, first of all it is spelled "ton" second, the PS2 slimline is smaller than a stack of paper so how is that taking up space, it's not like it is huge.

@darthdevidem... I agree, he makes no sense. But Sony will never be able to win some people over... Even if they paid people to have PS3s.

Yes, the slimline PS2 may be small... but honestly, if you have a Wii, 360, and other contraptions hooked up to your tv... how many avcomponenthdmi ins do you really have room for?

Just kiss the tip.

Wow, I didn't think for a moment they would really nix the BC completely. That just seems crazy to me.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

johnsobas said:
especially in european countries the PS2 is still very strong, much stronger than PS3. I think we'll still see many people stick with the expensive SKU.

Damn I feel sorry for you hate when things like that happens. It would have been great if the 40GB hade BC, but it would not have been that cheap specially in europe. The high price really scared some people. So what are you going to do? I still dont know if I am going to buy ps3 need hdtv first.

Either way ps3 sales will go up in Europe. 

Around the Network

@Happy Squrriel, sorry I missed your post but I entirely agree with you, like Frank. Most of all the last part. I feel like the PS3 therefore is losing more the image of a "game console". Now of course a starterspack is a wonderful thing like for Yojimbo, but why removing BC?! BC is a part of "gaming" and like I said before, even for people who have "never" had a PS2... when you find 2 PS2 games of which you think you'll need to play it, you can't. PS2 games are still selling well and ARE STILL BEING RELEASED.

Therefore you kind of stab yourself by removing BC IMO. People who just have enough money to buy the 40GB version, don't feel like buying a PS2 as well for only 2 or 3 PS2 games.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

jjseth said:
"I really don't care, I didn't buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. That's like buying a Porsche and only driving it in a parking lot at walmart."

I bet even with a Porsche the parking lot at walmart would be his most visited place if it had a bunch of hot chicks ;)

gamingdevil said:
DMeisterJ said:
gamingdevil said:
DMeisterJ said:
What PS2 games does everyone want to play cuz I'm not understanding the seriousness of this. The last game worth playing on my PS2 was God of War 2. So what games are people playing on their PS2? Also, how often does anyone here play their PS2 and how often do you think you will when you have a next gen system? mr marc, all PS2 games are not ugly but 95% of them are. I can really only call GoW 1 and 2, FF ten and eleven, Shadow of the Colossus, DMC, and that's about it. There may be some other gems I have forgotten but that's the gist of it. The rest are ugly or look better on the original XBOX (Such is the case with any multiplatform title such as Madden or NBA Live or most games released on both platforms) or Gamecube (Such is the case with RE4)

KH, KH2, Shadow Of The Colossus, FF10, FF12, RE4, DMC3, ICO, GT4, Persona 3... are these enough?

@darthdevidem, wait so the 360 can fully software-emulate XBOX titles and the PS3 can't emulate PS2 titles? B-But "teh power of teh CELL!!!one!11!"???

1) how many people really want to play those games?

2) I'm sure there aren't three or four million peole who want to play those games.

3) Also, if you already have a PS3 [Your sig says your PSN ID] why do you care that there is no BC for the
    40GBversion, you already have your bc on ur PS3.

1) Millions.

2) You shouldn't.

3) Sorry, i didn't know that since i already have a PS3 i don't have the right to comment on Sony's growing idiocy. 

If you really think millions of people are STILL clamoring to play those games you mentioned, you are wrong.  I don't even think five hundred thousand peole want to pay those games or have waited this long to play them.  If by now, you haven't bought and played FFX for four years or KH then you're never gonna buy it.  The reason you can't commet is because it doesn't matter to you. YOU have your bc, ur just trying to flame because you have nothing to do in your boring life except not be happy for people like me who have a PS2 and wanted the PS3 price to drop and don't care about BC cuz I have a PS2.

About the only use I can find for my PS3 nowadays is as a PS2 upscaler.

This is dumb. Sony mocked MS for emulating their BC library and now Sony doesn't even offer BC on one of their models.

Sigh... Sony is pretty desperate right now. I hope this thing flops, they deserve it for continually dicking over the customer for the past 18 months.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

davygee said:

Now I know that BC can be a problem for some people, but thinking about it for a minute...it's a very smart move by Sony. Look at the following from IGN:

After weeks of speculation Sony has officially unveiled the lower-spec 40GB PlayStation 3 and has announced that it's heading to the UK on October 10 at the cut-down cost of 299 GBP. What's more, Sony is also slashing the cost of the 60GB PS3 down to 349 GBP.

The lower capacity hard drive aside, the entry level 40GB PS3 only has two USB ports (compared to the usual four), the multi-memory card port has been removed and the machine will not be backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles, because Sony reckons there has been "reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3".

In addition to the new model, Sony is replacing the existing Starter Pack with a new Value Pack, priced 349 GBP, for which you get a 60GB PS3, a SIXAXIS controller and two first-party titles - although exactly what games will be on offer has yet to be confirmed.

So basically, if you want a cheap PS3, you can get one for £299. Sony is replacing the Starter pack, which currently retails for £425 (although you can pick them up for £399) with a Value pack which will contain 2 games and only one SIXAXIS....but for £349.

So for £299 you get a 40Gb BC-less PS3 but cheap or for £50 more you get 2 games (probably Resistance & Motorstorm) plus the proper 60Gb machine that does play PS2 games.

I also expect the £299 40Gb model to go for slightly cheaper as well or even come with a free game or Blu-Ray Disc.

Why would anybody in their right mind buy the 40GB version. For only £50 more you are getting two games (RRP £40) and BC. The 40GB pack doesn't make any sense to me at all.