By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - OFFICIAL: 40Gb Announced!!!

Peter Potamus said:
Since there are over 100 million PS2's sold world wide, I don't see how no BC would be a majority problem. Yes it is more convenient, but they are targeting that market now, not the "I don't have a PS2" market. There will be plenty of games for the PS3 over the holidays.

Thank you Perer Potamus, The "I don't have a PS2 market" is next to noting, now it's the I don't have a PS3/360/Wii market.

Around the Network
I still and always will love to play older games, I feel that makes me more of a gamer than run with the flow only because "graphics" tells me to...

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

twesterm said:
Wow, I didn't think it was possible but I actually want the PS3 less now. I don't care about the USB ports or removing extra memory cards slots, but BC is something that's fairly important to me as I still have PS2 games I want to keep around and don't want to keep around an extra system.

Sony's loss I suppose since I won't even think about paying for the more expensive system until it actually gets affordable.

I definitely want it less - in fact, I don't think there is *any* chance I would ever pick up a PS3 without PS2 compat.

Both my gaming mates who picked up a PS3, did it almost exclusively for PS2 support. Playing an enhanced version of GoWI, Okami and a heap of other games. Just no PS3 games they really want at the moment.

I still think this was a really dump move by Sony. The PS3 is *still* really expensive (300 pounds = heaps!), yet all of a sudden it does a lot less than it used to.

I suggest anyone keen on the price point, rush in and buy a 60gig model before they sell out. Although if you wait long enough, maybe you will get an extra 20gigs for free?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

+1 to Onna!

gamingdevil said:
DMeisterJ said:
What PS2 games does everyone want to play cuz I'm not understanding the seriousness of this. The last game worth playing on my PS2 was God of War 2. So what games are people playing on their PS2? Also, how often does anyone here play their PS2 and how often do you think you will when you have a next gen system? mr marc, all PS2 games are not ugly but 95% of them are. I can really only call GoW 1 and 2, FF ten and eleven, Shadow of the Colossus, DMC, and that's about it. There may be some other gems I have forgotten but that's the gist of it. The rest are ugly or look better on the original XBOX (Such is the case with any multiplatform title such as Madden or NBA Live or most games released on both platforms) or Gamecube (Such is the case with RE4)

KH, KH2, Shadow Of The Colossus, FF10, FF12, RE4, DMC3, ICO, GT4, Persona 3... are these enough?

@darthdevidem, wait so the 360 can fully software-emulate XBOX titles and the PS3 can't emulate PS2 titles? B-But "teh power of teh CELL!!!one!11!"???

Okay gaming devil, but how many people really want to play those games, I'm sure there aren't three or four million peole who want to play those games. Also, if you already have a PS3 [Your sig says your PSN ID] why do you care that there is no BC for the 40 GB version, you already have your bc on ur PS3.

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:
I still and always will love to play older games, I feel that makes me more of a gamer than run with the flow only because "graphics" tells me to...
Keep your ps2 if you own or buy ps2, or buy the 60GB. The 40GB is not for you its for people like me.

especially in european countries the PS2 is still very strong, much stronger than PS3. I think we'll still see many people stick with the expensive SKU.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@Yojimbo I'm just saying my PS2 is DEAD ;)

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

HappySqurriel said:

I don't know, I could be wrong but I suspect that removing backwards compatibility entirely was a very bad move; even having 25% backwards compatibility with the promise of improvements down the road would be much better.

I don't have a perfect picture into people's minds so I don't have a full understanding of their purchasing habits but I do know that backwards compatibility became a huge deal for many consumers after it first started being introduced; the PS2 and Gameboy Advance were bought by a lot of people who were very interested in playing their old games on their new systems.

I really believe that less people would be disapointed if they dropped the ability for the $400 PS3 to play Blu-Ray movies than for it to be unable to play PS2 games.

Yep. You got that right.

DMeisterJ said:
gamingdevil said:
DMeisterJ said:
What PS2 games does everyone want to play cuz I'm not understanding the seriousness of this. The last game worth playing on my PS2 was God of War 2. So what games are people playing on their PS2? Also, how often does anyone here play their PS2 and how often do you think you will when you have a next gen system? mr marc, all PS2 games are not ugly but 95% of them are. I can really only call GoW 1 and 2, FF ten and eleven, Shadow of the Colossus, DMC, and that's about it. There may be some other gems I have forgotten but that's the gist of it. The rest are ugly or look better on the original XBOX (Such is the case with any multiplatform title such as Madden or NBA Live or most games released on both platforms) or Gamecube (Such is the case with RE4)

KH, KH2, Shadow Of The Colossus, FF10, FF12, RE4, DMC3, ICO, GT4, Persona 3... are these enough?

@darthdevidem, wait so the 360 can fully software-emulate XBOX titles and the PS3 can't emulate PS2 titles? B-But "teh power of teh CELL!!!one!11!"???

1) how many people really want to play those games?

2) I'm sure there aren't three or four million peole who want to play those games.

3) Also, if you already have a PS3 [Your sig says your PSN ID] why do you care that there is no BC for the
    40GBversion, you already have your bc on ur PS3.

1) Millions.

2) You shouldn't.

3) Sorry, i didn't know that since i already have a PS3 i don't have the right to comment on Sony's growing idiocy.