By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Too many games this holiday?

Anyone concerned in terms of sales that there are just too many games this holiday which may decrease sales overall for all the games.  I mean we have the established franchises that should do well just based on fan following but there are a lot of new IP’s this holiday that may suffer because of this.  New IP’s would need to get very good reviews in order to even compete (skate comes to mind) and that’s not always a guarantee.

Currently I am only getting Mass Effect but if I was able to get another game or two I would probably buy guitar hero 3 and possibly cod 4. I really enjoyed the beta along with my friends (I was able to get them in the beta with the exploit hehe).  I wish I had more money but that is all I can really afford.  In terms of my most recent purchase it was Halo 3 though I hadn’t bought anything  before then for a while though I do have gamefly which saves me a ton.  It has allowed me to play and beat games like Bioshock, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon among others I didn’t beat but just tried.

Basically my question is do you think there are too many games coming out this holiday that may lead to lower sales overall  across all the games and how many games do you foresee buying this holiday starting this month October?  

By the way this is even tougher for people with multiple systems as my cousin who has all three is having a hard time figuring out which games to get.  I mean he has money but there are just alot of games available.

Around the Network

I have a long list of games that I want to play but yet to get the time to.

If it were last year, the number of releases this holiday might be overkill.
But this year, the video games market grew a lot more and I think it'll do fine.

I don't know if it's the font you're using or what but for the love of God:

twesterm said:

Better?

I can't keep up either. So many 360 games. I'm going to be a broke somebody. I haven't even beaten Saints Row or Fable or Rainbow Six Vegas yet or Tomb Raider: Legend.

Around the Network

You are a funny man.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

elnino334 said:
twesterm said:

Better?

Much better, thank you.

Yes, this holiday season is making things very difficult with the very large number of highly anticipated games coming.  I'm having to pass on a few games I would normally buy in a hearbeat just because there are better games coming that those really good games.  I will get those games I passed on eventually when the price comes down and I'm able to trade in a few of the games I did get, but it's going to be a while.

The overall gaming market has expanded well, and people a finally moving out of the last gen hardware but with the density of quality games it has to hurt somebody. The big games will get their sales. They might just strech longer legs to next year. I have a fear for new IPs and smaller realeases. But we just have to look at the Halo release, and it appeared to me that its affect was more positive on software than just the amount for new system owners.

The real burden will be on mega gamers. But I am pleased that during the first 6 months next year I will have plenty to play from the holidays and won't need to worry about any new releases. 2008 will be better than 2007 but there will still be plenty of dead spots for all 3 systems.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

I think a lot of games will suffer this Xmas. The smash hits will still be smash hits - its the other titles that will hurt. Instead of doing 500k, they will do 200 or 300k.

Enough to really hurt some developers and publishers.

I already have too many games, and am realising that I will simply have to skip some games - even ones I REALLY want to play. Just hope they come down in price, and their is a lull next year.

(and what's REALLY scary is I only have ONE next-gen console...)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

dschumm said:
But I am pleased that during the first 6 months next year I will have plenty to play from the holidays and won't need to worry about any new releases. 2008 will be better than 2007 but there will still be plenty of dead spots for all 3 systems.

This is actually my believe as well as you can pick up many of those games $10 cheaper or more during 2008.  I can also catch up on them with gamefly.