By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is story one of the strong points in Valkyria Chronicles?

The story IS predictable. It's definitely not contending with the heavyweights. It's the charm and likability of the characters that makes it so great. You really do grow attached to certain characters, and that attachment grows every succeeding chapter.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

Around the Network

The story is okay, nothing earth shattering. However the presentation and playability are A+!

The characters are very predictable and often times fall into recognized cliches which makes the story far less compelling than it could have been. While it's not a bad thing for the characters to be somewhat cliche, after reading/watching/playing through so many stories it's somewhat expected, what is bad is that characters in Valkyria Chronicles don't seem to outgrow their cliches rather they just find new situations to express them in. Speaking of which...

There are many situations where you may find yourself saying "Where have I see this before..." After a while it gets somewhat frustrating as for a title with so much originality and so many things going for it, the story just feels pieced together at times. While playing it, I had a sense of deja vu several times as some plot points were lifted out of the "Big Book of War Plots" so-to-speak. Even worse, you can tell that sometimes things don't happen logically but do so instead in a way such that the authors can move on to the next scene or next piece of the story they want to tell.