By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Begun... the price wars have... or not?

That was a brilliant move on the part of Microsoft. Telling the public about it gave them a few critical advantages. The first is it obviously drove down hardware sales as loyalists held off on making a purchase in order to save money. They increased the public perception that Sony was desperate, or that their console was flopping hard. Consumers do not like taking expensive risks. Finally they moved the attention to the holiday season. Where they firmly wanted it even after the price cut by Sony during the summer.

Having the knowledge public only hurt Sony. I doubt Microsoft had to steal the information however. Sony is not a government. They have to manufacture in conjunction with third parties. They also need to unveil their plans to developers who were especially concerned. There was basically a lot of anecdotal evidence that this is what the new sku would do. Much of that evidence was available in public records. Changes in contracts with manufacturers. Changes in corporate finances are also public knowledge. Microsoft could do everything with sufficiently skilled observation and theory.

Around the Network
flagship said:
The bundle idea on the surface probably looks better than a $50+ price drop, those 2 games probably cost MS less than $50 to obtain and who doesn't love getting games with their system. That said they could really choose a better bundle title then Ultimate Alliance, I mean if MS had balls they'd bundle the system with Gears of War.

Bundling Gears of War is a very bad idea... Its rated M.  You don't want to do that and make parents angry, cause people to not buy the system and have to card people before they buy the system? Yeah... none of that is good.

Exact same reason Resistance will never be bundled witH PS3.  They picked Motorstorm because of its rating.

Dodece said:
That was a brilliant move on the part of Microsoft. Telling the public about it gave them a few critical advantages. The first is it obviously drove down hardware sales as loyalists held off on making a purchase in order to save money. They increased the public perception that Sony was desperate, or that their console was flopping hard. Consumers do not like taking expensive risks. Finally they moved the attention to the holiday season. Where they firmly wanted it even after the price cut by Sony during the summer.

Having the knowledge public only hurt Sony. I doubt Microsoft had to steal the information however. Sony is not a government. They have to manufacture in conjunction with third parties. They also need to unveil their plans to developers who were especially concerned. There was basically a lot of anecdotal evidence that this is what the new sku would do. Much of that evidence was available in public records. Changes in contracts with manufacturers. Changes in corporate finances are also public knowledge. Microsoft could do everything with sufficiently skilled observation and theory.

QFT :o)

thors1982 said:
flagship said:
The bundle idea on the surface probably looks better than a $50+ price drop, those 2 games probably cost MS less than $50 to obtain and who doesn't love getting games with their system. That said they could really choose a better bundle title then Ultimate Alliance, I mean if MS had balls they'd bundle the system with Gears of War.

Bundling Gears of War is a very bad idea... Its rated M. You don't want to do that and make parents angry, cause people to not buy the system and have to card people before they buy the system? Yeah... none of that is good.

Exact same reason Resistance will never be bundled witH PS3. They picked Motorstorm because of its rating.

That's funny, because Resistance is in fact bundled with the PS3 in Europe.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

i hope we get a price drop in the uk we pay bout $500 for a premium so more than $100 difference and we pay about $600 for a elite, why do we in the uk always pay more ?

we also pay more for xbox live so a reduced price on that would be nice to , we pay nearly double what u americans pay and we dont get movie downloads or anything like that

Around the Network
pac_manjosh said:

i hope we get a price drop in the uk we pay bout $500 for a premium so more than $100 difference and we pay about $600 for a elite, why do we in the uk always pay more ?

we also pay more for xbox live so a reduced price on that would be nice to , we pay nearly double what u americans pay and we dont get movie downloads or anything like that

Mostly because of VAT and import taxes.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Don't worry my friends across the ocean, microsoft said somewhere(man i need to remember where i read things first) that they were putting more focus on getting consoles and games sold in Europe. I think you guys will get some price chops and dealz soon.

Currently Playing:

Xbox 360 - Rock Band, NHL 08, Skate, Halo 3, Mass Effect

Wii - Mario Galaxy