By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - ATTN Developers: Here's how to gain profit from not selling any games

THQ, I hope you're reading this. It'll help you turn a profit.

source

If a Pirated Song = $80K, What is the Value of a Pirated Game?

July 2, 2009

In a recent, highly-publicized court decision, music industry lobbying group the RIAA won an eye-popping $1.92 million verdict against Jammie Thomas-Rasset (left) of Minnesota. That works out to $80,000 per song for each of the 24 tunes that the 32-year-old mother of four was accused of sharing.

How might such a case work out for someone accused of file-sharing video games?

Not well, according to gamer/attorney Mark Methenitis. In his Law of the Game column on Joystiq

If we assume [the Thomas-Rasset verdict] is allowed to stand, the possible implication is that the individual works that comprise the greater work that is a video game could be each pursued individually. So, for example, if you pirate a copy of Guitar Hero 4, you're not only liable for the piracy of the game, but also the piracy of the 86 included music tracks. So, keeping the value at $80,000 per work, your total bill would be $6.96 million. That's only 116,000 times the $60 retail value of the game...

It seems likely that a better balance will need to be struck... Is the solution to make small time, individual piracy the speeding ticket of the 21st century, punished with a stinging slap on the wrist when caught? Perhaps...

As for Jammie Thomas-Rasset, her comment on the verdict was, "Good luck getting it from me." Meanwhile, the RIAA has filed some 30,000 similar lawsuits around the United States.

Around the Network

I refuse to get sued 6.9 million for a game unless it is an AAA exclusive , you ain't gettin a penny out of me for a mediocore game.

haha

See, that's why I despise companies like Sony which are part of these lawsuits. They do everything to get some money, including screwing over "small people" who may well be their customers.

These companies clearly have no sense of morals or fairness... it's all about the bottom line. I hope they and their friends go bankrupt and a second generation of more sensible media companies emerges after the collapse.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

See, that's why I despise companies like Sony which are part of these lawsuits. They do everything to get some money, including screwing over "small people" who may well be their customers.

These companies clearly have no sense of morals or fairness... it's all about the bottom line. I hope they and their friends go bankrupt and a second generation of more sensible media companies emerges after the collapse.

Yes I also despise companies who fight to protect their property from being illegaly downloaded. /Sarcasm

What and you think these people stealing music or video games have a sense of morals or fairness? No.

Around the Network
legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:

Yes I also depise companies who fight to protect their property from being illegaly downloaded. /Sarcasm

Are you the kind of guy who would shoot someone who stole your lunch money?

NJ5 said:
legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:

Yes I also depise companies who fight to protect their property from being illegaly downloaded. /Sarcasm

Are you the kind of guy who would allow someone to stea lyour lunch money and just walk away from it?

legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:
legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:

Are you the kind of guy who would allow someone to stea lyour lunch money and just walk away from it?

No. Since you apparently missed the (mild) subtetly in my reply, I will spell it out for you:

Ever heard of the concept of "proportional retribution"?

legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:

Yes I also despise companies who fight to protect their property from being illegaly downloaded. /Sarcasm

What and you think these people stealing music or video games have a sense of morals or fairness? No.

legend92(3) said:
NJ5 said:

That's funny, from my perspective you lack a sense of morals and fairness.

gg

You do not have the right to never be offended.