By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox 360 Arcade console listed on retail sites for Oct. 23

nine0nine said:
i dont feel its anything to do with the sony/ms rivalry, its an attempt to make the core the 360 for casual gamers. It has a casual name for a start, its very unusual for a company to re-badge a machine in their line up but the public is finally realising what a waste of time the core is. It comes with a bunch of casual games and a memory card so it can be played straight out the box, just like the wii!

As a step into wii territory, its pretty feeble, as a step into maybe attracting a few more customers, it will work, but not to any great scale imo.

It will do something trust me. I can expect Microsoft will advertise the hell out of the Arcade version on TV and Internet and in the public like stores and banners. Its going to make a impact.

Around the Network

Actually.....

From what I've heard, it's quite the opposite, nine.

Microsoft has stated recently that the core:prem sales ratio is actually closing in, and the core is selling better. MS actually has realized the core *can* play an integral part of the X360 brand. I believe thats why they are working on the better Arcade model.

IMO, if I was a consumer this holiday, and saw a much more powerful, better Xbox 360 at a near-same price as the Wii, and had all those games...I'd be more inclined. Think about it, the X360 Arcade has 1/2 the HDD space the Wii does in Flash Drive space.

I still think they shoulda picked a better Arcade lineup. Give them TMNT 1989, Castlevainia, Geo Wars, Hexic 1, and Street Fighter 2.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I thik this is great as well since the core was a bore (man I´m lame) since it was incomplete, if MS doesn´t sell it at 249$ I´ll kick their asses though, why not put it on par with the Wii ??? Anyway I think HD isn´t important, I really don´t se live much and don´t need it at all.

@mrstick: I like your arcade lineup much better but I guess MS was going for a less "core" crowd of people (ok that one wasn´t bad)

I think MS was smart to have a three types of consoles to reach different people... at least now that you can save games with a core/arcade... how could they get that wrong in the first place ??? (Someone selling a core must sound like a bad car salesman... "The core is great but you´ll need some memory with that... and winter tires... how do you feel about leather??? ") 

mrstickball said:

Microsoft, sell it for $249

I completely agree. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
mrstickball said:

I completely agree. 

Releasing a more functional console for a lower price? No way! (My PS3 sheds a tear)

Seriously tho. If this releases at the same price as the old core, I think we can confirm that there won't be a price drop on any 360 model again this year like some predicted. Lowering the price on any other sku would bring prices too close together. 

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Actually.....

From what I've heard, it's quite the opposite, nine.

Microsoft has stated recently that the core:prem sales ratio is actually closing in, and the core is selling better. MS actually has realized the core *can* play an integral part of the X360 brand. I believe thats why they are working on the better Arcade model.

IMO, if I was a consumer this holiday, and saw a much more powerful, better Xbox 360 at a near-same price as the Wii, and had all those games...I'd be more inclined. Think about it, the X360 Arcade has 1/2 the HDD space the Wii does in Flash Drive space.

I still think they shoulda picked a better Arcade lineup. Give them TMNT 1989, Castlevainia, Geo Wars, Hexic 1, and Street Fighter 2.

Exactly right, I agree with everything you said.

IT will have a larger affect on those determining which console to buy between the Wii and the 360, not so much between the 360 or PS3.

If microsoft were smarter, they would go for the kill- price it $250, as everyone has been saying, and include these great arcade games instead of the mediocre ones they are including IMO 

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

I think the inclusion of the memory card is a great inclusion for the system. 256MB may not sound like much, but game saves don't really take up that much space on the 360. Looking real fast at my Madden 08 franchise and it only takes up ~5MB. Plenty of room to save stuff on the memory card. At least you get some good Arcade games(for free), although possibly a pack-in game or slight price drop (~$250) like others said would really be great for new buyers.

I picked up my core system as a bundle (w/Blue Dragon) and later decided to get the hard drive for it. It would have been great to have a mem card included with it when I first bought it though. If BD hadn't been included I would have just gotten the Premium system, though.

BTW That picture is not a pic of the "core/arcade 360" as it has the silver/chrome dvd tray

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

jman8 said:
sinha said:
mrstickball said:

I completely agree. 

Releasing a more functional console for a lower price? No way! (My PS3 sheds a tear)

Seriously tho. If this releases at the same price as the old core, I think we can confirm that there won't be a price drop on any 360 model again this year like some predicted. Lowering the price on any other sku would bring prices too close together. 

Stay tuned...  I don't think Microsoft is done.