By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Honduras "coup"

zexen_lowe said:
MrBubbles said:
zexen_lowe said:
MrBubbles said:

so...from what ive read, this "coup" is not a coup at all.  It seems quite legal.   he commited a crime and was arrested.

why is everyone calling it a coup?  i can understand certain individuals...obama and chavez for example...but the rest of the world also ?

Because he didn't commit a crime at all, where did you read that? In the speech the de facto president gave? He only wanted to ask the people in a NON-BINDING poll if they were interested in a constitutional reform. How is that illegal.

And they tried to remove the guy a couple of times by having a political trial and they never could find grounds, so go figure

The fact that you're supporting a coup d'etat, that after a war in my opinion is the worst thing that can ever happen to a country horrifies and disgusts me to no end. Please don't do it again, you obviously don't know what a coup d'etat means to a country

honduras adopted a constitution that provided a single four-year term for its president.

It specifically barred “any citizen who has occupied [the presidency] under any title” to serve for a subsequent term.

Moreover, it expressly prohibited “any amendment, in any case whatsoever” of the provisions on the form of government, the national territory and the term of the president.

Also, as far as im aware, it specifically states that anyone trying to do so, should be removed from power "immediately". 

I still think it's not illegal to hold a NON-BINDING POLL (so, one that would have no effect).

Besides, even if it were illegal, tehre are other means. An impeachement, for instance. You're defending one of the worst things that can happen to a country. That's...indefendible. You can't be pro coup d'etat...I'd like to see if you'd be pro if it happened in your country...of course, a coup d'etat is no big deal when it happens in a distant country you barely know

how is acting within the law and arresting a criminal one of the worst things to happen to a country?

the supreme court told him it was illegal...when the military said it wouldnt help him...he fired the head of the military.(sound like a nice guy to you?)

when it says to remove someone immediately...you remove them immediately.

If my Prime Minister(whom i happen to support) was commiting an illegal act and the law said to remove him immediately...then by all means...they should remove him immediately. 

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Man... how easy is to comment on other people country....

He did nothing illegal... this is a left-right fight.
What happened here was a coup, the people in power now are doing exactly what they said Zelaya was going to do. Closing News Channels, arresting people for their ideas, restricting humans rights, establishing curfews, hunting zelaya's friends.
The new president is a corrupt guy, that has a 30 years old political carreer, where he just did nothing. Now he has his people in the congress and courts and he will do whatever he wants he doesnot have opposicion.

Zelaya is not a criminal... those politicians were just scared of his popularity. and Again he did not nothing wrong... yet.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

It's a complicated situation, all right. He was trying to dance around a law so that he could change the constitution to increase his own power, and the military and judiciary would have none of it.

While it seems at first glance that the military was just enforcing the law, how can you have a democracy where there is no mechanism to alter the constitution, where you can't even ask the people if they would like to change the constitution? Maybe there was a proper avenue which Zelaya chose not to pursue, I don't know enough about Honduran law to say.

From what I understand, the authorities in Honduras are working to replace Zelaya with a legitimate leader, rather than a military junta, so hopefully this whole mess passes by in an orderly fashion. I hope the new leader is more interested in serving the needs of Hondurans and less interested in rocking the boat.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
It's a complicated situation, all right. He was trying to dance around a law so that he could change the constitution to increase his own power, and the military and judiciary would have none of it.

While it seems at first glance that the military was just enforcing the law, how can you have a democracy where there is no mechanism to alter the constitution, where you can't even ask the people if they would like to change the constitution? Maybe there was a proper avenue which Zelaya chose not to pursue, I don't know enough about Honduran law to say.

From what I understand, the authorities in Honduras are working to replace Zelaya with a legitimate leader, rather than a military junta, so hopefully this whole mess passes by in an orderly fashion. I hope the new leader is more interested in serving the needs of Hondurans and less interested in rocking the boat.

its only a few parts that cant be changed.  

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

elgefe02 said:

What happened here was a coup, the people in power now are doing exactly what they said Zelaya was going to do. Closing News Channels, arresting people for their ideas, restricting humans rights, establishing curfews, hunting zelaya's friends.
The new president is a corrupt guy, that has a 30 years old political carreer, where he just did nothing. Now he has his people in the congress and courts and he will do whatever he wants he doesnot have opposicion.

Zelaya is not a criminal... those politicians were just scared of his popularity. and Again he did not nothing wrong... yet.

a 30% popularity?

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
famousringo said:

its only a few parts that cant be changed.  

Or even discussed, it seems.

And I'm disappointed to hear that the new power structure is locking things down. I'm sure the next Honduran election will very interesting to watch.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

The referendum was illegal. But there were legal means to counteract it, and using force to remove him from office is not one of them.

If you've been alive for more than five years, "two wrongs do not make a right" should not need be explained to you.

MrBubbles said:
elgefe02 said:

a 30% popularity?

You just proved your ignorance on the matter.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

http://www.americaeconomia.com/Multimedios/Otros/7468.pdf

His approval rating in October was actually 25%.

elgefe02 said:
MrBubbles said:
elgefe02 said:

a 30% popularity?

You just proved your ignorance on the matter.

you just proved your delusion and bias on this matter.  just a pissy zelaya supporter upset his overlord was arrested.