By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Brief MySims impressions... (not great)

I finally got around to renting MySims out - and have just played the opening 30-60min of the game.

Frankly - I have had enough. The game doesn't suck, but I can't handle the glaring flaws in the game - plus its probably not my thing. I did rent it out for my partner to try/play, and she will play later tonight/tomorrow. See if she can get past the flaws and enjoy it more.

I won't try to go over what other reviews have, just some general comments on it. If anyone else has got/played the game, be interesting to hear your comments.

GOOD

- putting a house together was very intuitive, and a lot of fun. It worked really well, better than I expected.

- the art style works well enough. 

BAD

- I hate the interface in general. Several times already I have been confused, and done things I didn't want to do (including chop down a tree!).

- I hate the camera controls. Its not flexible enough when expected.

- the game is FULL of pauses, loads, wait screens, loading bars, etc.... whoever designed the engine IMO has *no* idea how to code a console title. Seems to be based on a "generic" PC engine (requiring lots of low-latency hard disk access). Really put me off the game.

- character creation is very limited, more so than I would have expected/liked. Miis are 10000x better and a heap more fun.

- designing furniture almost DROVE ME CRAZY. At one point, I could not get one of my blocks in the right spot - the input kept "jumping" to the next spot. My first ever "f@#$ you" moment on the Wii :P

- the graphics are incredible simple. No special effects, nice materials, etc. Sill looks ok - but disappointing.

- I got bored really, really quickly. Not my sort of game.

- rather than feeling like a single, connected world - the game feels like it is split into "segments". You can't open the door to your house and walk in - you "jump" in instead, and can't see the outside.

- I hate the "next texture" painting interface. Is it that hard to show us a selection, and let us use the Wiimote to CHOOSE one? Simply makes the game more frustrating. Its like the game was designed to primarily use a non-Wiimote controller.

I have never played the Animal Crossing games, so I may hate them as well. But this game is lacking so much necessary polish (that I associate as necessary with a console title) that it seriously damages any chance the game had with me.

Heres hoping EA make enough off it to warrant a sequel - then go back and fix all the glaring bugs and issues. Better luck next year EA. You suckered me into buying ONE of your Wii products (Harry Potter - now traded in) - but it doesn't look like their will be a 2nd anytime soon. Not MySims & not Boogie.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Ngamer magazine gave the title 90%. They are usually spot on with reviews IMO, (Except with Red Steel..90% ZOMG.) but i find your point pretty close to what i was expecting. Glad that the visual style works though, improved sequels might come out.(Hey , they're doing a Boogie sequel, right?) . Thanks on the heads-up.

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Well the problem with designing furniture could easily be solved by pressing the C button... :P It's an option to make it easier. The only thing I really really hated was the pauses, loadings EVERYWHERE. Other than that it's a decent game.

Seriously Animal Crossing rules and is so much better than from what I hear from you about My Sims! I've never liked The Sims to begin with, was kind of getting enthusiastic about this game but in the end I didn't like the whole idea that much after all. Plus the scores turned me off. I hardly follow scores anymore from biased websites / magazines. Especially from a mag called Ngamer ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us Shams.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Nintendo Official Magazine UK gave it a 92%! But they are kinda soft on review scores. BTW three Greeks on this thread!

Around the Network

How do you say Hello in Greek? :D

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:
How do you say Hello in Greek? :D

Geia sou

I've put 7 hours into this game. It does have some big problems. It has alot of great things about it too. I like the style, interface, all the building in the game is really well done and allows for alot of creativity, I find myself quite often spending extra time adding details.

My recommendation for anyone considering to buy it is, if you love, designing stuff in Sims games you'd probably like it. 80% of your time will be spent building stuff. 10% exploring 10% collecting essence(roughly).

That leads me to my problem with the game, it's clear this game was rushed out. why EA? They could at least moved it to December, and mostly fixed it's 2 biggest problems:

1. Loading, every time you enter another section, another room, go into building mode, you wait. You wait alot in this game and it's entirely unnecessary when you consider how many seamless games there are out there with much larger worlds.
2. Your character has no needs at all, while this might be a pleasant change of pace for Sims, it makes every action in the game(eating to sleeping) useless. On top of that you don't have relationship levels, or any kind of popularity bar, except for a few shallow mini games to collect essences there is hardly any side games that will take up time.

they should of had a few needs that would have motivated you to build thing for yourself. They should have had bars for every character so you can gage your relationships, and they should of perhaps added other side story elements that didn't require building. This game could easily be better then animal crossing if it wasn't rushed. I hope it at least sells well enough to warrant a sequel and the sequel better be made right!

four??? lol
geia sou Onna76 :)

We clearly see Greek domination here