By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Admits Halo 3 Caused Xbox Live Glitches

"If you were one of the few Xbox 360 owners who didn't buy Halo 3 this week, you were probably wondering why your game of Uno wasn't working properly. The answer, in a word, was Halo.

A Microsoft rep told disgruntled users that the flood of online Halo 3 activity was to blame for a series of "minor issues," and that everything should be back to normal now.

"Xbox Live and Xbox.com experienced minor issues [Tuesday] as a result of increased activity due to the launch of Halo 3. The issues were quickly resolved and both Xbox Live and Xbox.com are now working fine," said a statement from Microsoft.

The larger problem may have been dealt with, but Wired's Susan Arendt said she was still experiencing freezes on Live as recently as Thursday afternoon.

Halo 3 officially launched September 25, and raked in a record-breaking $170 million in first day sales."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137852-page,1/article.html

Know wonder everytime I got on xbox.com it would keep me out. Just a heads up to 360 owners, Halo 3 was the prime enemy that messed up these servers. But who cares look the money speaks for itself. $170 for first day sales. That's amazing!!!! 8)

Around the Network

I have experienced this. Hopefully it is fixed as it was pretty annoying.

Yeah Halo 3 slowed my Live to a crawl on quite a few occasions this week. Once I get my copy of Halo 3, I guess I will be part of the problem. I would have had it this past Thursday but someone UPS "lost" it. Yeah I know they stole it but I can't prove it. Thankfully, New Egg refunded my money and is air shipping me another one.

On tuesday you couldn't do anything on the market place such as download movies or demos or games and when you called the service, it took forever to get help. Guess it was the 2.48 million or so people (including me) who bought halo 3... Oh well, it's fine now.

@DMeisterJ

You got that right, I don't think this happens on PS3, considering the userbase isn't that big.

Around the Network

@W29,

That probably won't happen on the PS3 until Killzone 2 comes out IF it is as big as people say it's gonna be.

W29 said:

Halo 3 was the prime enemy that messed up these servers. But who cares look the money speaks for itself. $170 for first day sales. That's amazing!!!! 8)

Wow, $170, that's like a copy of the Regular AND Legendary Editions!

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

sinha said:
W29 said:

Halo 3 was the prime enemy that messed up these servers. But who cares look the money speaks for itself. $170 for first day sales. That's amazing!!!! 8)

My error I meant to say and PCWorld meant to say was $170 million dollars in one day.

sinha said:
W29 said:

Duh.....look in a game store lately and find out how much they cost.

W29 said:
sinha said:
W29 said:

My error I meant to say and PCWorld meant to say was $170 million dollars in one day.

PC World didn't mean to say $170 million, they actually DID say it:

"Halo 3 officially launched September 25, and raked in a record-breaking $170 million in first day sales."

Don't blame them for your error. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick