By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Slim, Firmware 3.0

Lightning_24 said:

Okay, I found this thread and i thought it was very interesting. Well all have heard about Firmware 2.8 coming out Wednesday. Well this guy on N4G posted saying the PS3 slim is real. He then said to prove he was a real insider he said on Firmware 2.8 would be released Wednesday and he said this on the 19th of June.

The things he has said so far are:

PS3 Slim is real, have 2 usb ports, No BC for PS2, Other OS are gone (I'm not sure what that means) bigger HDD.

Firmware 3.0 will have cross game voice chat and private voice chat. Release this year.

heres the link

http://forums.n4g.com/Guess-what-PS3-Slim-is-real-m657040.aspx

What do you think. Is this guy for real.

N4G... so trustworthy.. not. The guy has 2 compeltely different dates listed for the 2.8 firmware update.  June 18th and June 24th. Since June 18th came and gone that prediction failed and the 24th seems even less likely. If anything the 25th is when it will be launched.

Still PS3 Slim is coming but I doubt this soon. Plus removing the ability to install Linux is pretty stupid since Sony themselves has agreements with Yellow Dog to develop their OS for the PS3. Every other feature listed is a giant no sh*t.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
nitekrawler1285 said:
I want to know what parts of the PS3 are "required" for the other OS feature as rafichamp says in the other thread that was just locked.

It seems that there isn't really anything that will be removed that would make the PS3 cheaper. So i don't know about it. Hopefully someone will come in and tell us more.

ssj12 said:

N4G... so trustworthy.. not. The guy has 2 compeltely different dates listed for the 2.8 firmware update.  June 18th and June 24th. Since June 18th came and gone that prediction failed and the 24th seems even less likely. If anything the 25th is when it will be launched.

Still PS3 Slim is coming but I doubt this soon. Plus removing the ability to install Linux is pretty stupid since Sony themselves has agreements with Yellow Dog to develop their OS for the PS3. Every other feature listed is a giant no sh*t.

where do you see the June 18th prediction? He started the thread June 19th from what it says. From what other sites are saying it seems that 2.8 will be released tomorrow. And even if it is a day late, things can happen to delay it. Also isn't it tuesdays when firmware are usually released? because if it was why would he say 18th and then say 24th which is a Wednesday.

These are just questions i'm not meaning them in any mean way. It's usually hard to tell if people are bing mean or just asking something on fourms.

Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:

where do you see the June 18th prediction? He started the thread June 19th from what it says. From what other sites are saying it seems that 2.8 will be released tomorrow. And even if it is a day late, things can happen to delay it. Also isn't it tuesdays when firmware are usually released? because if it was why would he say 18th and then say 24th which is a Wednesday.

These are just questions i'm not meaning them in any mean way. It's usually hard to tell if people are bing mean or just asking something on fourms.

I heard about some guy on N4G talking about it coming 6/18. Might not have been the same guy. Who knows.

Firmware updates can be anytime really. Monday - Friday. Heck I've seen a PSP firmware on a Saturday long before the PS Blog existed and could tell people about it. 

Still N4G isnt very trustworthy. What happens if 2.8 is released tomorrow and has cross gaming chat?

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

ssj12 said:
Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:

I heard about some guy on N4G talking about it coming 6/18. Might not have been the same guy. Who knows.

Firmware updates can be anytime really. Monday - Friday. Heck I've seen a PSP firmware on a Saturday long before the PS Blog existed and could tell people about it. 

Still N4G isnt very trustworthy. What happens if 2.8 is released tomorrow and has cross gaming chat?

If cross gaming chat was released tomorrow then that would be awesome and i wouldn't care about the guy anymore. lol But the thing is i don't care about cross game chat i don't chat that much to begin with. But i know other people like these things.

Around the Network
Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:
Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:

If cross gaming chat was released tomorrow then that would be awesome and i wouldn't care about the guy anymore. lol But the thing is i don't care about cross game chat i don't chat that much to begin with. But i know other people like these things.

Well I can say 2.8 is either out now or will be in a few hours.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/06/23/ps3-firmware-v280-update/

Some might consider it a minor update but it isnt. It actually coinsides with another major update.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,9511.html

Its a driver update. Driver updates can improve overall performance of games on the system. Even the old laggy games released at launch will probably feel the effect of this because it can improve stability of the content.

ssj12 said:
Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:

Some might consider it a minor update but it isnt. It actually coinsides with another major update.

Its a driver update. Driver updates can improve overall performance of games on the system. Even the old laggy games released at launch will probably feel the effect of this because it can improve stability of the content.

Well i think people say they are minor because of there not being anything that noticable although you may be able to notice this more. I think everyone wants something that is big like no it can turn anything into gold, that would be a big update.

I was thinking earlier today that there hasn't been an update in a while and then i see one is coming. I like updates even if i don't know what they do lol

Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:
Lightning_24 said:
ssj12 said:

Well i think people say they are minor because of there not being anything that noticable although you may be able to notice this more. I think everyone wants something that is big like no it can turn anything into gold, that would be a big update.

I was thinking earlier today that there hasn't been an update in a while and then i see one is coming. I like updates even if i don't know what they do lol

Most are either CPU or GPU driver based. At times it can be OS based but that doesnt happen often.

Well maybe the guy was wrong since 2.8 came out now, or perhaps they moved it forward. Also maybe it is Wednesday somewhere so he could still be right lol.

I updated the OP I don't know how to update the whole thread though.